Boost/Cut in the same enclosure

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by beebassdude, Aug 12, 2013.

1. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    So ive got two basses both with wildly different output signals, one is super hot and the other is not. Instead of playing with volume knobs on the basses or my amps or volume pedals when i switch instruments, im looking for a boost/cut pedal. Just want one knob on the box, probably line level at 12pm and if you go counter clockwise its a cut, and when you go clock wise its a boost.

im probably gonna have something like this made for me, but before i pull the trigger on that im wondering is there a pedal out there like this? i see tons of boosts and cuts by themselves, and i also see tons of versions with EQs and gains and all these other things i have no use for. just want one knob, backwards goes quieter, forwards gets louder. any ideas?

2. father of fires

father of fires Commercial User

Nov 29, 2006
    BALTIMORE CITY
    Chief of Medicine at Damnation Audio
    I've been thinking about building one of these for ages. I have the same f'n problem. There may be a commercial pedal that does this but they don't advertise it as such.

I'm working on a buffer/attenuation pedal for a mutual friend of ours. I could easily adjust the design to do both and build 2 of them.

3. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    Radial BassBone

4. bongomania

bongomania Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    The phrase you want is "unity gain", not "line level". :) It will make a difference to anyone trying to build a pedal for you.

If you haven't already picked a builder, check out [SFX] from the UK. He can make it very small and transparent and noiseless.

I understand what you mean about pedals having features you don't want--but you may find that's the cheapest way to go, if low price is a factor at all.

5. eeyorebass

eeyorebass

Jan 2, 2008
    Most clean boost pedals can also cut. The trouble is most are not unity at 12 o'clock. The EHX LPB-1 is unity at 9 o'clock, I think.

If unity has to be at 12 o'clock, you may need to get it custom built just to get that. Otherwise, I think just about any clean boost will do what you want, bring the level of your quieter bass up to the level of the hotter instrument.

Jeremy

6. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    ...or just use the Radial Bassbone mentioned earlier. Two separate inputs, each with it's own level control, easily switch between 2 basses with the stomp of a pedal.

7. beebassdude

beebassdude Supporting Member

Sep 29, 2008
    Sterling, VA
    youre right, thats my bad. im getting the pedal built for me tho so no need to find one. and that bass bone is exactly what i dont want, 6 knobs, 2 buttons, 3 switches, inputs all over the place. im a simple man, i have simple needs!

still just shocked that nobody really makes one, aside from i guess that radial bigbone, which like i said i exactly didnt want, has

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021