1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boost-only Preamp: Failure or Something Else?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by Zooberwerx, Mar 28, 2009.

1. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    I have a rather nice bass with a two-band boost only preamp that's suffering from a peculiar problem. Even with a fresh battery, none of the active tone controls (treble boost, bass boost, internal trim pot) function. The overall output is good in bypass / passive model and modestly diminished in active mode. I even removed the battery....no difference. I can only assume I'm working with a partially handicapped instrument until I get to the bottom of this.

So...has anybody ever run across a similar situation?

Thanks

Riis

2. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member Commercial User

Mar 20, 2004
    Madison WI
    HPF Technology LLC
    Sounds like the circuit is not getting power at all. Some op amp circuits will pass signal at diminished amplitude when there is no power. This can sometimes be due to an issue with the connection of the negative battery terminal to the "ring" terminal of the output jack.

3. Zooberwerx

Zooberwerx Gold Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2002
    Virginia Beach, VA
    That's what I'm thinking and hoping as its a relatively cheap fix.

Riis