1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boost pedal for Ampeg SVPCL

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Guiseppe, Mar 8, 2008.

1. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I've looked at a couple different options to get a little more 'grit' out of my gear. I'd jammed w/ the SVPCL a bit before buying mine, and still completely dig the tone I get w/ this pre. That being said, I'd like to get just a little more growl from it, and it looks like getting a boost pedal going into my pre ought to do the trick. I've looked at a few different options in the Effects forum, and thought I'd see if any of you might have some input. So far, I'm inclined to look at the Fulltone FB-2 Fat Boost, but am definitely open to other options.

Typically, I'm using the "#4" setting on my Ultra Low (contours the sound to emphasize the low end like the original SVT), no bright, no ultra-high. I keep the crossover on both of my cabs turned down, at approximately 20%. The tone I'm going for is akin to Mel Schacher's tone on the early Grand Funk Railroad, also Johnny B. Gayden on some of the Albert Collins albums...not a wildly overdriven "N.I.B" growl, just a burly, ballsy drive.

Thanks for any and all suggestions, much appreciated!

2. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I just realized I've placed this in 'Amps'. Sorry for the inconvenience.

3. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    If you can find an SVP-Pro, you might like that better. Ultra-lo on that pre is the same as #4 on the CL ... and the Pro can dish out multiple kinds of wonderful dirt depending on how you set up the gain staging.

The problem with any boost is that you're going to need something that doesn't hurt your tone like almost all effects will. I've heard there is a vintage DOD clean boost pedal that can be great on bass, or you could try a bass specific outboard preamp ... but I'm not sure how much gain you'll need to get the CL to start clipping, since even when dimed, mine is clean as a whistle.

One other idea would be to turn off #4 (which is a massive mid scoop) and use a Sadowsky outboard preamp/DI with a healthy boost on both bands to give you both the mid scoop you like and a significant jump in gain.

4. Could try making a DOD 250 clone (sans distortion section) ?

5. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    What power amp are you running - cause another option is to run the CL to one side of the amp and a gritter pre to the other side / cab.

I'm loving this combination right now, gets the drive and keeps the wonderful bottom of position #4 on the CL.

Frosty.

6. Guiseppe

Guiseppe

Oct 26, 2003
    Vancouver, WA
    I'm running the SVPCL through an Aphex 204 into an Ampeg SVP1600.

7. 4StringsEnough

4StringsEnough

Mar 9, 2008
    Mojo Hand Cream Pie Deluxe will be perfect for what you want.