1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boost pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HMZ, Oct 25, 2013.

1. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Hi guys, I'm not an effects guy but I need a pedal that will boost my volume for solos or just when I need to be a bit louder. Any suggestions?

2. willbassyeah

willbassyeah

Oct 9, 2011
    Singapore
    volume pedal is great for clean boost, do not turn on your volume on the volume pedal all the way up. That way when you are boosting for solo you have a bit more volume to use. Other than i can only think of Spark Mini Booster by TC electronic, Mercy Phuck by wren and cuff, or Xotic bass rc booster.

check out the link for all the booster: http://proguitarshop.com/effects/boost-pedals.html

Than again most boost are made for guitar i believe there will be a slight tone change when using boost pedal for guitar.

Just my 2cents

3. I think the previous poster perhaps means the Wren and Cuff Phat Phuk. I can full recommend one. It just boosts and phattens the tone. Great pedal.

4. BBKINGBASS

BBKINGBASS

Nov 13, 2009
    Philly
    Mxr micro amp.
    Just built a clone from general guitar gadgets for one and it sounds awesome. No loss of low end and it just gives me more volume of me but doesn't add it's own eq

5. Twocan

Twocan Living the Dream

Oct 5, 2009
    MA
    Markbass Superbooster: Clean boost but you also get a DI and nice tone shaping capabilities out of it.

6. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Check out the Wren and Cuff Phat Phuk for a really nice, a little dirty boost. If you want a straight clean boost, check out the EHX LPB1. I use one myself and for what you pay for it, its a great pedal IMO. Love that little pedal. I picked mine up used here on TB or like $20. The W&C is quite a bit more expensive but from what I hear, its worth it. I want to get one eventually myself. Do some research, there is a lot of them out there that do different things besides just boosting your signal. But there are very clean and transparent ones as well of course.

7. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    +1 On the LPB-1. Some people say there is low end loss but it sounds fine to me. And it is real cheap.

If you want something smaller, there is also the SFX Micro Boost and the JHS Mini Bomb Boost.

Another option is the Empress Para EQ that has a boost that you can engage when you need it. It might be a good option if you were also looking for an EQ.

8. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    Thanks guys I have some homework to do.

9. neuman

neuman

Mar 24, 2009
    Denver, CO 'burbs
    If you're handy you can build a boost into a tiny enclosure too. Search schematics for EHX Mole, EHX LPB-1.

10. jumblemind

jumblemind I also answer to Bryan Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2011
    Knoxville
    I'm one of those people. In simple terms, the EHX boosts will give +20db volume with different tone results. The LPB-1 is like rolling your tone knob all the way up (which could be the low end loss perception), and the Mole is like rolling the tone all the way off, more of a boost to the subs. Depends on your desired tone if either of these are a good route. Wasn't for me.

One thing to keep in mind is that most boost pedals are designed/intended to push a tube amp's front end. That's one reason I think they don't always work well for a bass through a solid state amp (event the W&C phuk pedals). If you have a tube amp (or a Genz Streamliner), those boost pedals work great. For SS amps, I find that a preamp-type pedal can give much better results. The previously mentioned TC Spark Booster and Xotic RC booster fall into this category. If one likes a more "classic" Fender-through-Ampeg type of tone, a Flipster or Ginger would be great for a boost or overdrive.

11. MXR Micro Amp

12. Baird6869

Baird6869 RIP Gord Downey. A True Canadian Icon.

13. fishtx

fishtx Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Endorsing Artist: Genzler Amplification/Spector Basses/Mojo Hand FX
    +1...nice little boost pedal and you can find them cheap...

14. MXR Micro Amp is very low coloration. The xotic EP Booster has slightly more coloration. The only clean boost I've tried that I felt had zero coloration was the Zvex Super Hard On, but it is very expensive. I think the Box Of Rock gives you one along with a distortion, so that might be more value.

The TC Electronic one is worth checking out, especially the small form factor, and others here have posted it's praises. I have both the MXR and the xotic I mentioned, and I think I prefer the MXR. If you try the xotic EP booster, run it at 18 volts, it's much better that way.

15. HMZ

HMZ Supporting Member

Dec 21, 2003
    USA-Mineola
    I think I'm going to get the markbass mini boost. Thanks again guy
    your best!

16. nshuman

nshuman Supporting Member

Sep 4, 2012
    Montreal, Qc, Canada
    ccp
    Jumblemind made a lot of good points, but I will add one more. For amps with a tube preamp, whether they are hybrids or full tube, any boost will act as a pre-gain and are likely to colour the tone, so your mileage may vary as usual. The ideal setup for solos and similar situations would be an amp with two input channels and a foot switch, but that does not answer the original question.

17. BooshBass

BooshBass

Sep 2, 2013
    Chicago, IL
  18. CyberSnyder

CyberSnyder Gold Supporting Member

Jun 19, 2003
    Maryland
    I Endorse Alien Audio Basses
    I'm a fan of the Xotic EP Boost.

19. DirtyDuke

DirtyDuke Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 13, 2012
    guelph ontario
    Partner Southampton Pedals, Partner CCP
    Darkglass Harmonic Booster !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have tried the LPB1, good pedal, cheap. I liked it

I tried the TC Spark Booster, great pedal, can change the floavor of the boost and add some dirt.

But the Darkglass gave me control not just the boost but the presence of the solo or passage I want to stand out. The are discontinued and expensive but worth it

If I were you, I would start with the LPB1, about $40, and go from there.

The Duke