1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boost Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by HeyyyyyJoe, Mar 15, 2010.

1. HeyyyyyJoe

HeyyyyyJoe Yahtzeeee Supporting Member

Nov 13, 2007
    Brooklyn, NY
    Hey guys

Looking into boost pedals as of late and I'm looking for input from fellow TB'ers. Right now I'm interested in the ZVEX Super Hard On, The Serrano Piccoso, Cheeseblocks Small Wonder, and the Creation Audio Labs MK 4.23. I'm leaning towards the Zvex but it is pretty expensive and I'm not sure if it can justify the price. What do you guys think?

Basically my band situation is myself, drums, one guitar and vocals. Certain parts of our songs need the bass to cut through more and stand out.

Any input would be great, thanks!
    Joe

2. Why don't you make 10 the loudest and keep it on 9, until you need that extra boost and then turn it up to 10?

Or just get an amp that goes up to 11.

3. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Here's how I look at it: boost pedals have only one significant distinction between them, that being whether they are designed to color (or "dirty") your signal, or instead be as transparent as possible. It's up to you which of those directions you want to go. Beyond that, I feel like you get 95% of the tone and functionality of "the best" boost pedal, from even the cheapest boost pedal. The remaining 5% can cost a hundred or even two hundred dollars more; whether it's worth the money is up to your champagne tastes.

I am personally happy to spend the dough for that last 5%, but I will not pretend or imagine for even a second that anyone but me will hear the difference, or care. :)

4. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I'm using a Cheeseblocks right now as a way to balance between different basses playing live. Solid pedal with no problems. I'm using it in front of a Line6 M13 that I'm selling.

If you're looking, I could sell you the Cheeseblock boost on it's own rather than bundled with the M13 as I currently have it. PM me.
    (I pulled off the Cheeseblock logo and stuck on a lable that said Balance, but it's a Cheeseblock)

[​IMG]

5. I quite like the Electro Harmonix LPB1. It cost me about 40 bucks.

6. BluesWalker

BluesWalker Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2008
    San Diego
    My favorite boost pedal is the Blue Tail from Lizard Leg Effects. It is a clean boost pedal. Hand builit one at a time, very reliable and very well constructed. You can purchase directly from the web site/builder or you can buy them new on e-bay. They cost about $150 on e-bay.

7. ()smoke()

()smoke()

Feb 25, 2006
    Dallas
    i recommend this one a lot, but still not a lot of people have tried it or own it:

bad bob boost from rgw electronics...

8. Demonator

Demonator

Jun 14, 2009
    L.J. Kentucky
    Dean Street Team
    Um what is a boost pedal?

9. bongomania

bongomania Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    It boosts the level ("volume") of your bass, before it hits the amp.

10. A boost pedal increases line level basically. I'm sure some one else can be more informative than I.

11. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I used my Cheeseblock Small Wonder pedal to boost up the level of my Regenerate Guitar Works bass to the same level as my Stingray and Fendowsky. It's clean, true bypass and worked great.

12. iualum

iualum

Apr 9, 2004
    ...also consider the Zvex Super Duper & Catalinbread Super Chili Picoso...

13. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Sep 10, 2008
    Pomona, SoCal
    +1

14. johnp352

johnp352

Aug 19, 2005
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner, GK
    Seymour Duncan sfx 01..$80. works..all the time. read the reviews.

15. ugly_bassplayer

ugly_bassplayer Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2009
    Québec
    I've been that road before, Zvex SHO etc....
    You know what I use now, GEB-7, works great.

IMO

16. coreyfyfe

coreyfyfe Supporting Member

Nov 19, 2007
    boston, ma
    I'm using the Serrano Piccoso right now for the same reason. Great little pedal, nice and transparent, good amount of boost.

17. shawshank72

shawshank72

Mar 22, 2009
    Canada
    I would very much suggest the MK boost, another tber told me about it and I loved it. DID NOT change the sound of the bass whats so ever, just boosted what was already there. I had mine for awhile till it took a header down a flight of stairs at a show. I miss it alot.

18. stflbn

stflbn

May 10, 2007
    Nashville
    I first had an LPB-1, then I noticed how much it was coloring my tone and went with something cleaner. I know they use that as a marketing tool, but it wasn't what I was wanting.

19. mr.hughes

mr.hughes

Sep 12, 2005
    Ireland
    A very clean and quiet boost is the Barge Concepts GLZ pedal. Great quality and great people. Geoff is a nice guy for sure. Hand delivered two pedals to my hotel when I was in NY for some shows - can't beat that for customer service.

20. TrevorOfDoom

TrevorOfDoom Supporting Member

Jun 17, 2007
    Austin, TX
    to offer another path...
    why not get an EQ pedal and bump the mids a bit? that way there's not too much of a sudden volume spike and you get the added presence you need.
    because honestly, there's a fine line between adding presence and overpowering the mix, and i think it's too easy to cross that line with just a boost pedal. if you just boost the right frequencies (or range of frequencies) you'll increase presence without killing the mix. IMO and what-have-you.

that said, i liked the Serrano Picasso and the Xotic RC Boost a lot.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Dec 1, 2020