1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Boost the Preamp or PowerAmp?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by mulepods, Mar 22, 2006.

1. mulepods

mulepods Guest

Feb 20, 2006
    USA
    I'm wondering what the best way is to get more volume from my rig. I've got a separate Preamp and PowerAmp. Does it make more sense to set the Pre to about 5 and crank the PowerAmp? Or max out the Pre and set the PowerAmp lower? Does it even matter?

2. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    please fill out your equipment profile so people can see what gear you are talking about.

THE FOLLOWING DESCRIPTION ASSUMES YOU HAVE 3 T-H-R-E-E VOLUMES IN YOUR SIGNAL PATH. assuming your running a mono/bridged amp and a mono signal path...

start with ALL your knobs that can affect volume to minimum. leave your guitar at full.

if you have a preamp with "gain" and "master". set your gain just below the point your "set" light blinks on your hardest plucked notes, or if you don't have a light, set the gain just below where the clean sound changes into a fuzzy or distorted sound.

with the "master" volume at minimum, turn your poweramp's level control to max. if you get feed back at this point something might be hooked up wrong or you don't have your main volume or "master" at min. while plucking a string, bring up the "master" volume up to a level you desire. IF AT ANYTIME THE CLEAN SOUND BECOMES FUZZY OR FARTY TURN DOWN starting with the gain in case that is set too high. if the power amp is "clipping" (might have indicator lights) then you are running out of juice for the speakers.

Thats about all I can tell you right now without more info. my assumption may be wrong depending on what gear you really have. please fill out your profile with brand's model #s etc so I and others in the future know what your talking about...

oh, and welcome to talkbass...;)