Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

boost the sansamp bddi

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Texx, Sep 10, 2004.

1. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    OK within the last 2 days i read every thread about the sansamp bddi having not enough power to drive a poweramp properly.
    So thats my problem too, though i like the tubey sound and the slight compression that thing gives me it lacks volume and punch when plugged into my poweramp.
    I found it to sound alot clearer, punchier and of course louder when put before another pre or head .
    I understand, that i have to boost the signal somehow but i cant decide what to get.
    One option i thought off was to plug the bddi into an MXR M-80 and get another clean tone, a mid control and a more powerfull distortion. But in another thread a guy said that a 9V pedal could not provide a sufficient output level no matter what you do.
    Is this true? Does anybody use the MXR or another 9V PRE/D.I. pedal to drive a poweramp?

2. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    This is my "cheap" but allright sounding amp:
    T-amp
    the manual says it wants an input of 0.775V and the impedanz of the 1/4" input is 10Kohm

I don´t want to change XLR output of the bddi for then it can´t be used to go to the mixer anymore. Correct me if i´m wrong.

But the idea with the D.I. box is very interesting. Have you tried it yet?

3. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I bought an ART LeVelar tube compressor and use it with my Sansamp to push my power amp. You can find those or the Tube MP for about 50.00 on ebay. Works like a charm with plenty of headroom. Look in the "Show us your amp" thread and you will find my little rig.

4. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    So the M-80 lacks output too i guess?

5. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland

Texx...what are you using for a preamp? That's a reasonably priced power amp. That's attractive. What speakers?

6. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    here´s the
    preamp

and the
    cab
    which i really love because its small, very punchy (no port) and sounds like it would cost 3 times more.

i never tried another poweramp, so i can´t tell the quality of mine but i think there isn´t a big difference when it comes to sound. I can only complain about its weight.

Grüezi in die Schweiz :)

7. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Running it bridged or one channel?

8. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    bridged because if have the output/level problem with my preamp that i discribed at the beginning.
    I can almost push it all the way up though the cab can inly handle 400W RMS.

9. I run my Sansamp ADI into a rack mount equalizer and adjust the output level of the EQ to boost the signal into the power amp. Works great and does not alter the tone unless you want it to.

10. mrbaloo

mrbaloo

May 9, 2002
    Sweden
    Hi

I think I have found an other solution. How about this: buy a small mixer and put it between the SABDDI and your power amp. Then you can optimize the input gain on the mixer channel using the input LEDs (buy a mixer with this feature).

Hope this helps.

/MrBaloo

11. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    Maybe I'm just crazy (maybe!) but I plug my Sansamp BDDI into a QSC RMX 850 and that can get pretty damn loud. It keeps up with my band which are two halfstacks blasting away with a loud drummer. I had my concerns too about the BDDI because of everyone saying it's not loud enough. But I bought the BDDI anyway out of curiousity. First time I plugged it straight into my QSC RMX 850, I looked kinda like this ---> :eek: haha... yes, believe me, it's LOUD.

But hey, enough people don't seem to think it is, so I guess it's just a matter of which amp you use with it and if it's loud enough for your uses. Hope that helps...

-T

12. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    I too have tried it by itself(but not at a gig.) There is a volume difference, but it seems like it would work just fine. I just didn't want to say "go for it!" when I have not done it myself.

13. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    You are right it can get loud but have you ever tried another preamp? Maybe the QSCs likes the bddi a little more but as you said there´s a couple of people in this forum having the same problem as i have who own a QSC.

Anyway i have come to the conclusion to get a MIC PRE to solve my problem.
    I thought about those
    ART

PreSonus

Anybody have suggestions which one to choose?

14. Transverz

Transverz believer of the Low End Theory

May 3, 2004
    Los Angeles, CA
    I use a Presonus for our condenser mic applications. Really warm and (more applicable in this case) can add lots and lots of gain! Super simple, and looks pretty cool, if you are worried about that department. I like that crazy red tube glow!

The ART maybe pretty good too. Never tried though.

:bag:

-T

15. Texx

Texx

Sep 10, 2004
    Germany
    Just got mail from jimdunlop/MXR

don´t know what to do now,
    guess i have to try both solutions the MicePre and the MXR