Boosting mids for slap?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Nickthebassist, Apr 13, 2005.

1. I just thought I'd say I find all this 'gotta have a scooped sound for slap' stuff RUBBISH. My bass sounds a million times better if I boost the mids and slap it, I get a nice agressive tone, think Ryan Martinie. Does anyone else do this?
  2. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    I RARELY change my settings. They sound good for everything ;-D.
  3. Scooped is excellent for slap. It allows you to get really percussive without it sounding like crap.
  4. +1.
  5. johnvice

Sep 7, 2004
    Well if it works for you and sounds good then do it!

When I slap, I make the follwoing EQ adjustments;

A cut at 5Khz. (I normally boost my treble by about 6dB above flat at 5kHz. When I slap, I cut by 6db bellow flat. )

For the mids I normally boost by about 4db above flat at 1.6khz (to get a 70s rock sound). When I slap, I cut it by 10 dB below flat around 1 - 1.6khz.

For the lows I'll boost by 2-3 dB at the low end.

I have this programmed into my ME-50b for quick chnages in live shows. WHer etime is not an issue, I"ll use the bass and treble control on my SVT and my parametric EQ for the mid-scoop.
  6. I do! I run with the bass 3/4 of the way up, mids maxed, and treble right in the middle for both slap and fingerstyle. It sounds very alive.
  7. WEll it seems I'm not the only one with the idea of boosting mids for slap. Doesn't Ryan Martinie have like loads and loads of mids? He plays slap and it cuts thru like mad.
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

9. Yep, you got it bro' :D
  10. HUH?! Go listen to Know Forever and say his tone is mud. pfffft.
  11. opivy3056

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    Today i had a revalation.

Boosting the low mids and rolling off the tone knob makes my jazz growl perfectly. Its not harsh or rigid, just smoothe and thumpy.

I slap constantly.
  12. metalguy2

Dec 26, 2004
    The man tunes down to G. I have to commend him in everyway. And I think it sounds phenominal!
  13. I don't like boosting mids to slap because it seems to get a bit too boomy. I rarely cut them in a live situation though, or it tends to get lost (it's usually lost as it is, being more percussive than fingerstyle... sounds a bit thinner). Boosting mids is a good way to get a thick aggressive sound, but mids can be tricky. Too much and your bass is honky, and too little and it'll get lost in the mix.
  14. simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    I just pull my magic pull-knob on my Warwick, and it suddenly transforms into a slapping monster! Does a bass boost and a mid scoop (you can set the amounts in the battery compartment) and I turn up the treble from the front of the bass, just a small boost.
  15. Whafrodamus

Oct 29, 2003
    Andover, MA
    My pile drivingly heavy Jazz doesn't have a tone knob. Yes :(
  16. Selta

Feb 6, 2002
    Pacific Northwet
    Total fanboi of: Fractal Audio, AudiKinesis Cabs, Dingwall basses
    EQ? Who uses that? :smug:

17. I actually also boost my mids when I slap. I find it actually helps with the volume of my slapping. Prolly because I'm not very good at slapping. :p But I can definately see there's many applications for scooped mids + slapping.
  18. lethifold

Mar 19, 2005
    Depending on the slap groove I am playing I either have

Boosted Bass and High End (allows for me to use the middle notes as more 'percussion' notes)
    Boosted Middle, Low Bass (For less deep and more prominent slap riffs)

I use an effects board to quickly switch between the two
  19. Yeah, my only complaint with boosted mids is that percussive effects don't sound so smooth.