Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

boosting mids on my stingray

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by improvpwnd, Jul 22, 2005.

1. hey guys...i need some advice. i have a stingray with the stock humbucker and im having trouble getting the mids to come out. on my ibanez soundgear i have what looks like an emg, but im not sure the exact name and they pick up those mids beautifully...am i going to have to use one of those on my stingray? sorry for the lack of knowledge of pick ups, never studied them too hard...any help is much appriciated.

2. thisSNsucks

thisSNsucks

Dec 19, 2004
    Yonkers, NY
    not sure if this will work, but you'd be amazed at what raising or lowering the pup can do.

3. Try fiddling with an EQ a bit. Either on your amp or on your bass. It's pretty amazing what these things can bring out. Changing your pickup height will also help change your sound, as well as changing the strings.

4. Zebra

Zebra

Jun 26, 2005
    First of all, do you have a 2 or 3 band EQ? If it's a 2 band EQ, dropping highs and lows=more mids. You'd have to raise the volume, though. Just basic EQing should do everything, because a Stingray is a bass that is NOT lacking in mids.

5. cgworkman

cgworkman

May 14, 2004
    Ohio
    Hmmmmmm....

The mids on my SR5 come through quite nice. The 'flavor' of the cab you're using might be a factor too.

6. thanks guys! i have 1 more question though..is there any reason why it wouldnt be possible to add a new pup to my stingray?

7. epoxo57

epoxo57

Feb 17, 2005
    Perrysburg, Ohio