Boosting my signal.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Warwick player, Feb 14, 2005.

1. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Hey Guys

I haven't often experimented with pedals but now after a request from the rest of my band, I am looking for something to boast my signal going into the amplifier. Something like a simple stomp box on the floor.

Sorry if this has been done before, if there is a thread I have missed, please point me in the right direction.

Cheers and Beers!
  2. Beav

Beav Graphics Whore

Jul 17, 2003
    Middle Tennessee
    Designer: Beav's Graphics
    You have a couple of options. First is the Seymour duncan pickup booster. you can also use a distortion pedal with the distortion and mix down and the volume up.
  3. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I'd recommend an Electro Harmonix LPB-2 Linear Power Booster if you can find one. They've always been rated much better than the MXR Micro Amp. If not, go for a Duncan Pickup Booster.
  4. Are you looking to boost all the time or just to have a footswitable boost for certain sections in songs?

Either a BOSS LMB-3 or GEB-7 might do the trick if you're looking to boost certain sections in songs.

I found a LMB-2 (the old brown ones) for cheap and the ability to add trebel, slightly limit the signal (so it doesn't get rediculous) and raise the volume for solos and louder passages is fantastic.
  5. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    I'm looking for a foot swtich that will give me a boast in a certain section of a song.

I'll carry on looking around, thanks a lot you guys for your help! :smug:
  6. Hiya i may be totaly off. But i use a Aguilar outboard pre to boost my power. It does not have a switch but it makes my passive warwick sound a lot better. I think sadowsky do a outboard pre also. But i have yet to try one of those yet.There are loads of threads about those two outboard pre's have a search around. Just a few more sugestions :)
  7. I use a Fulltone Fat-Boost for boosting. It's a little expensive but it tends to make my sound fuller, bigger, fatter and clearer.
  8. brianrost

brianrost Gold Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2000
    Boston, Taxachusetts
    I just use the volume knob on the bass. I set up at the beginning of the night with the volume on the bass at about 50% up...plenty of room to turn up OR down, and it was included with the bass for free :D
  9. Where are those available in the UK? If anyone knows. I really want one, but I can't find it anywhere :crying:
  10. Aren't there any big online stores in the UK? If not check out the cheap german megastore at and

The site are in german but can easily be switched to english.
  11. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Be careful and hopefully try out the Seymour Duncan pickup booster...maybe I got a strange one but it's got a very hard/rough switch/button on it that makes a terrible pop when it's activated. I also find the gain knob to be useless when looking for a clean (very little gain) sound.
  12. mikeboth

mikeboth The last thing you'll ever see

Jun 14, 2002
    Tallinn, Estonia
    Operator: prophecysound systems
    The Fulltone is a (bad) rip-off of a Jack Orman design:

The afore-mentioned MXR Micro-amps aren't a bad choice, however you might wish to consider:
    ... the advantage with this one being you can run it at higher than 9V for extra headroom (always an advantage on *all* basses, passive and active, as the initial attack of a note can be very large in magnitude). This is an 'officially-licensed' version of the circuit that Fulltone stole for the Fatboost - I've built up this version for DIY use and it sounds great with guitar AND bass.

Note: I have no commercial interest in any of the above pedals (especially the first one :D ).

13. I'm using my LMB-2 for exactly that. BOSS pedals are fairly cheap, easy to find and very durable
  14. Warwick player

Warwick player

Dec 31, 2002
    Bucks, UK
    Hey Guys,

Thanks very much for all you input.

I made a decission today and ended up buying the MXR Micro Amp. Hope it will do me well, and I will put up another post after my next band practise to see how it gets on.

Thanks again