1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

boosting the lows on Sadowsky preamp?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gillento, Apr 2, 2006.

1. gillento

gillento

Oct 15, 2005
    Luxembourg, Europe
    Nordstrand pickups
    Hi, I remember reading in these forums that boosting the lows on a Sadowsky preamp cab be a tricky business.
    But I can't find the post anymore. A forum search did not turn anything usuable up.

Could someone direct me to that thread. I will be getting a MV5 next week.
    So I am trying to avoid mistakes and not to get fed up with this expensive bass just by "mishandling" it.

2. kjones

kjones

Dec 4, 2004
    Maryland
    IME, I find that the longer I've owned my Sads, the less boost I use. A little really goes a long way.

Don't forget that the pots are boost only. Also, the more you add boost of either sort, the more the mid scoops.

For that reason, I up the bass a little, and the treble only a tad if at all. My recommendation would be to start totally flat, see how you like that, then season to taste.

Congrats on your new bass. Once you hear it with your band, you'll realize it's twice as good as you're imagining it now.

3. RudeMood

RudeMood

Nov 7, 2004
    Austin, TX
    I used too much boost at first, now I know that less is more for the Sadowsky pre. I think the VTC helps add some low end tone (or takes out some high end), especially on the ash/maple combos.