1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Boot camp! (Non-military related)

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by SuperDuck, Apr 5, 2006.

1. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/TECH/ptech/04/05/apple.software.ap/index.html

Apple letting people run XP on a Mac?! Has the world gone topsy turvy?

From the article:

"Apple has no desire or plan to sell or support Windows, but many customers have expressed their interest to run Windows on Apple's superior hardware now that we use Intel processors," Philip Schiller, Apple senior vice president of worldwide product marketing, said in a statement.

Mac geeks, correct me if I'm wrong, but people had been able to do this before, haven't they? Hacks had been written?

2. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I wasn't under the impression that mac's hardware was superior, only their OS.... What is the point of running XP on a Mac anyways???

3. because they can :)

anyways, i don't know why apple would have a problem, they bought the computer, what more do they need to buy?
    plus with windows, apple can open up to a whole new group of people who want to own apples, but still want xp (as weird as that may sound)

4. McHack

McHack

Jul 29, 2003
    Central Ohio!
    Market share & software compatibilty.

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
  6. Yeah... but it was barely usable. The graphics were being renedered on the fly by the CPU. Window drags were painful.

Boot Camp (Apple's solution) creates a partition for Windows, burns a CD full of drivers (Apple written?) and walks you through the intsall process.

All that is required is a reboot to change OS's.

7. Basschair

Basschair .............. Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2004
    Stockton, Ca
    As an owner of a new Intel-based Mac, all I can say is wow.

8. Hmmm... I hate Windows, but you really need it at times. Makes that Mac look that much more attractive.

Thanks for the heads-up.

9. westland

westland

Oct 8, 2004
    Hong Kong
    The hackers did it first. Apple is just making it official. I don't think there is much innovative about dual boot -- Apple may have been the only OS that hasn't allowed it so far.

10. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Up until a week before the hackers did it Apple was saying it's impossible.

Fret free, your not thinking of the same thing I think. The hackers did in fact use a dual boot system.

Boot Camp is Apple using common sense at this point.

Anyway, good for them, this is the appropriate thing to do.

11. i dont get it, wasnt the point of getting a mac was to get away from windows?

12. Don't_Fret

Don't_Fret Justin Schornstein

Dec 10, 2003
    NY
    The total pwnage of Microsoft is complete.

13. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    lol I don't know about that... MS is still used almost exclusively in businesses. And even if someplace is running a Mac, they're probably still using MS Office!

14. DougP

DougP

Sep 4, 2001
    i think its a safe bet that Apple has had this capability for quite some time but didnt offer to release the software for it.

They are like Tool in that they will tell the public one thing and then turn around a few weeks later and do the opposite.

15. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Probably. It was still funny to see though.