1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bootleg Peavey Grind 5er, Bruceweiart

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by StarscreamG1, Mar 8, 2008.

1. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    I was cruising eBay like I always do and came across this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=160214985510&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=006

I was somewhat interested in it and contacted the seller. Here is what he said:

I play a standard Peavey Grind. The bass offered is almost exactly like my Grind. They were both made in Viet Nam, probably by the same outfit. There are no numbers on the back of the headstock. Width at the nut is 1.75 inches or 45mm, width at the 17 fret is 2.5 inches or 65mm.

I then did some research on Bruceweiart's and ran across a few reviews. The inlay work is just amazing and stunning but as far as the playability and durability of the instruments? The reviews were mainly on acoustic ones and the reviews were 'fair' but not spectacular. Lots of work to set it properly and at least two had cracks come up in the bodies within a year. Yet they still played great. All I saw said for electrics said was that they weren't as 'good', or even worse depending on how you look at it.

I can buy a peavey cold and be fine but I'm not willing to try it with anything else.. As for 'copies'...I have had two experiences with 'copies'..one is my lawsuit LesPaul and its better then any real Les Ive ever touched. The other was my 77-78 Pbass copy... Too bad I couldn't have doused it in gas, set it on fire and pitched it off the roof of the tallest building I could find..that should give you an idea how well that 'copy' was....I really don't want to take a chance on this one, no matter how pretty it is.

The seller just emailed me some awesome close ups of the thing. I will pass them along via email if anyones interested. I have decided to pass this one by and thought Id give anyone here that has more experience tweaking basses as far as intonation/action/ and possible minor other work, etc, then I do a heads up on it.

....if only I could play it first....:ninja:

2. Really looks like a peavey grind, but if I were going to copy a bass, it wouldn't be a cheap one like a grind.

lowsound

3. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Well I dunno...Grinds are nice looking regardless of the price tag being high or low.

4. crkempton

crkempton

May 30, 2006
    Utah
    hmm... those inlays look cheesy to me. WAY overdone, IMO.

5. The inlay totally says Ant, but the shape was drawn from a Peavey. I'm imagining some guy in a hut tracing around the outside of a Grind, like we all did w/our hand when we were 4.

6. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Antoniotsai tends to copy common shapes. This does look like his work.

7. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    i'm a Grind player,,, but imo,, that thing is BUTT UGLY :rollno:

8. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    Yep – what Basshole said.

That first link I posted is to an Antoniosai "SG" style guitar.

9. StarscreamG1

StarscreamG1

Dec 17, 2007
    Well maybe its just me..but in a rather gaudy fashion I think it looks nice...then again I have a thing for dragons, what can I say....I will admit though, the neck or the body alone would look better...both together does kind of overpower it...Im more interested in how well it feels and plays and its durability then anything else though. But no way of knowing that unless you buy it and Im not willing to take a chance at what hes asking for it :p

10. Jjango

Jjango

Nov 16, 2007
    Los Angeles, CA
    I dunno. Kind of reminds me of a pretty girl with too many tattoos. :meh:

11. NorCal Dog

NorCal Dog

Nov 28, 2005
    415/707
    i personally think all that inlay work looks gawdy at best

i'm sure that the guy that did all the work must have gotten paid very well for his time, ( or what's the point right ? as i wouldn't give away my time )

but the selling price sure doesn't reflect all the added cost of the inlay work,, ( somebody's dumped way more money into this thing than it's worth ) :confused:

i just sold a 5er recently for $350. he'll be lucky to get an opening bid of $300.

12. Marcury

Marcury High and Low

Aug 19, 2007
    Mid Hudson Valley, NY
    If all that inlay were clay I'll bet it would sound great, but that much pearl and abalone, who knows what it would do to the tone. :ninja:

13. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    Buy it. Name it "Amy".

14. richnota

richnota Gold Supporting Member

Jan 11, 2005
    Santa Cruz
    i've heard about the sonic qualities of clay. Im thinking of asking Joe Veillette to make me a bass completely from clay dot material. It would really good.:ninja::ninja::ninja:

15. fenderhutz

fenderhutz Supporting Member

Jan 28, 2007
    Harpers Ferry WV
    Antoniosai makes instruments under other names as well.

16. I bought a 7-string neck from Antoniotsai a while back for a project. His real name is "Paul" and his address doesn't exist - someone living in Vietnam went by the neighborhood and checked for me.

I got the neck and took it to my luthier, who almost threw up the moment he looked at it. Not only weren't the frets in the right places, they were not even square to the neck. cheesy is the best way to describe the inlays. And he removed the nut that was in the auction picture before shipping it.

Paul agreed to take it back and give me another one. It cost me $60 shipping to 'Namm and was finally returned as undeliverable. Funny, I sent a money order to the same address in 'Namm and it was duly cashed in a bank in Philadelphia. Needless to say, I got stuck with a very expensive wall hanging. Ended up swapping it to a guy for a Randall 30 watt SS amp and I think he got the better of the deal.

I'd say be very very very afraid.