bootlegs;"gay bar" vs. no more heroes, C.Aguilera "dirty" vs. living colour

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by The Mock Turtle Regulator, Jun 17, 2003.

1. pc

Apr 4, 2000
    Montreal QC
    hehehe... vewy cool
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    The Living Colour songs rocks :cool:

So I may see them on monday after all...
  3. Where do you find the components for mash-ups. I'm guessing you need some vocal mix and a suitable instrumental track... But is there some trick added?

I guess something like Acid or Ableton Live! would be good software for creating these sample fests.

Christian Aguilera vs. Pixies
    Dirty Rock Music.
  4. acapellas sometimes get leaked out (or deliberately made available)-

(also it is possible to subtract the vocal/backing track using phase cancelling, but it's very hit and miss)

last summer the most famous (or infamous) was the acapella of Eminem's "without me", which was put on the Boomselection mashup site, with a challenge for as many bootlegs to be done- and eventually a chart was put up for people to vote for.
    one that I did - DaftEminem (Eminem vs. Daft Punk da funk) got to no.5 :smug:

this year it's the Gaybar bootlegs- XFM put up the acapella with a similar challenge.

I use Acid4 to tempo match/timestretch/pitchshift and chop up the vocal, and Soundforge to chop up the backing track.
  5. ps.

to see the extremes to which bootlegging can be taken, check out "Marshall's been done to death" on the Freelance Hairdresser's page-

very funny stuff- I was in stitches when they played this on the XFM Remix show.

-bootlegs have become commercially viable too-
    Richard X put Adina Howard's track over Gary Numan's Are "friends electric", the track was put to the Sugababes to re-record the vocal and they had a no.1 hit out of it as "Freak like me".

also Scottish band Speedway stole the idea of the Freelance hellraiser's "Stroke of genius"- putting Aguilera's "Genie in a bottle" over the Strokes "last nite".

-so don't be surprised if someone covers the Aguilera vs. Living colour idea and has a hit with it.....

6. this is very strange-

seems like my mini-bootleg has turned up on a CD-
    (track 11)

first i heard of it was by doing a Google search.
    this seems to be an mp3 data CD- hence 99 tracks.
    I wonder what the legal situation of this release is? (obviously I don't have a leg to stand on re. royalties as the samples weren't cleared to start with)
  7. JMX - you have to see Living Colour live - IMO - one of THE best live bands on the planet regardless of whether you like much of their stuff or not - these are four incredible musicians, Corey Glover can sing the hind-legs of most rock (vocal) donkeys - they are brilliant and Doug, he's worth the price of admission alone - go see won't regret it, m'kay?

8. I was a bit disappointed by LC's 2001 Forum gig.
    the extended dub jams they insisted on doing rather than the well-known tracks were a bit boring.
    still, I bought Collideascope- even though it cost me £16.99 on DVDaudio....
  9. Gia

Feb 28, 2001
  10. ah, there's another one- Gay Bar vs. the Muppet show theme- very funny, but I can't remember where i found it...