Bootlegs -legal-

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Bryan_G, Jun 10, 2004.

1. Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Anybody into the bootleg scene?

There are a lot of great shows in circulation over the net. Its incredible the amount of effort these people put into getting a good clean recording. Its especially nice when the band will let someone record straight from the board.

Here are some good sites to start off with. -explains everything great site -has a few shows archived

Anybody else doing this?
  2. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    as long as no one makes any money off of it and the musicians agree, i think it's great- i have 2 Aquarium Rescue Units, 2 Oteil and the Peacemakers and 1 Meshell nDegeocello (sp?).

i use Bit Torrent as well.

i don't search that often, but i'm on a list to get stuff when i becomes available.
  3. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    I can't remember the last studio disc I've bought at a record store. I seriously have more cd's of live shows than I can count! Started out with Napster (what a joke) and then Furthur (cool program) and now Bit Torrent is the only way to go IMO. Etree has a lot of stuff too. Also check out or for some nifty tunes. I'm just getting into downloading dvd's of shows too - maybe we should start some kind of talkbass trading thing?
  4. Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    Bit torrent is pretty cool. I have got some stuff from there, but it is usualy pretty slow. I was on the etree trading list for a while and usualy got my stuff from sites off of that. I haven't seen any legal live dvds around but that would be pretty cool. I have seen the odd show here and there but never a dvd.
    I don't have anything to trade right now. I only have a couple of shows that I got from on this drive. But I think it would be cool to trade with some of you guys.

Its great cranking the stereo and listening to a whole show, I always enjoy the live version of songs so much more, especialy when the musicians do extended/jam versions. Bela Fleck and The Flecktones have some great shows out there. What are some of your favorites?

5. Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas
    I just got done listening to this:

Check it out if you are a Bela Fleck and the Flecktones fan. Its a good show and pretty good quality. It starts off with an awsome version of "Next". It is worth the download if you are a fan.

ps. goto if you are not aware of the workings of .shn

oh and to keep everybody happy Fleck and the Flecktones
  6. andrewd

Sep 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    bittorrent is amazing!

as is the archive, when it isnt super slow

check out moe. and Godspeed You! Black Emperor on the archive
  7. DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    The link I posted above (Sharing the Groove) has a jazz section with a lot of cool shows - quite a lot of Mahavishnu shows have been available recently - thought that'd be up your street.
  8. EmmSee

May 23, 2004
    Boston, MA
    Sharing the Groove is the bomb. I've downloaded a ton of great FZ & misc Jazz video stuff on there + everything's legal.
  9. NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    maybe this could be the "official" trading thread? i kinda don't like "bootleg", but maybe with the author's OK, you guys could change the title to "Official Trading Thread"....just an idea.

Smash, is there anything that could be done?

BTW, great thread Bryan_G
  10. Bryan_G

Apr 28, 2000
    Austin, Texas

Do what you please with it :) ... as long as we talk/trade about shows!

I will have to check out that sharring the grove site.

11. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    Resurrecting this thread as I am looking for a LEGAL jazz live music torrent site.

After reading the BP article on Scotty LaFaro, I need to snag some legally traded Bill Evans shows (Not official recordings) and I can't seem to find a good jazz site.

For reference, I use DC++ and sites such as The Trader's Den and and I haven't been able to find any early 60s Bill Evans stuff.

Any recommendations of sites or hubs?