Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by plexibass, Jan 3, 2006.

1. plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i'm just curious about what the members feelings are on bootlegging. what i mean are unreleased concert or studio recordings of an artist.
  2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Some of my favorite recordings are boots.
  3. I spent the majority of yesterday finding Clutch and Primus bootlegs. I love hearing stuff live, to me it shows a whole other side of some bands.
  4. baba

baba Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2002
    3rd stone from the sun
    Bootlegs are tasty.
  5. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    My favorite stuff.

Nugs Net Radio

The Live Music Archive

Both legal listening and downloading from bands that allow it. Bands that see the value of performing live and promoting themselves by allowing people to hear them when radio won't play there stuff.
  6. BurningSkies

BurningSkies CRAZY BALDHEAD

Feb 20, 2005
    Seweracuse, NY
    I'm cool with it. If it happens with my band, I'm somewhat flattered when a taper tells me.

With other bands, as long as they're cool with it, I'm down. Some of my most cherished recordings are live tapes or discs. I don't think live recording reduces the sale of legit recordings (pirating is different).

The live music archive is a boon to music lovers.
  7. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    I've been trading shows forever. I regularly pull and share shows from players with open taping policies. I also make it a point to buy the matching studio releases and I also try to buy all the live commercial releases I can. I prefer the honesty of live music... the reactiveness of players and listeners

There is an amazing history of shows out there!
  8. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    "Let me ask you a question, how do you feel about frilly toothpicks?" "I'm for 'em!" "Well, this club is formed. Spread the news on menus nationwide."
  9. Im highly for it, but also most of the bands I do listen to bootlegged are also supportive of it.
  10. X Wolf

X Wolf Guest

IMHO...Only if the band in question has given its' permission.

11. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    If they dont, they are not worth listing to... :D
  12. plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    with me, i'm a huge bruce springsteen fan. lots and lots of boots. since there are a million and 1 websites and newsgroups where you can get them for free, i dont understand what the problem is. the only people that boots appeal to are the diehard fans. i will buy everything bruce does legit, but i still want the outtakes and shows. THE WHO also [with the ox].......AND ELVIS PRESLEY. i really appreciate bands like the stray cats who do a reunion tour and then procede to issue the entire tour, at a resonable price, and then gives you the incentive to buy the whole thing by selling you all 15 cd's for the price of 12. i jumped on that one.
  13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    yeah, I took the Mrs's to see Peter Gabriel a while back and was able to buy the "official" bootleg release from the exact show we went too right off his website. She had me rip a copy for her to listen too and then framed the cd and cover... it hangs in her office :bassist:
  14. I like how Primus had all the shows they did on their last 2 tours available for purchase, I got the show that I went to in '03 in Santa Cruz. Amazing!
  15. bigtexashonk

bigtexashonk Supporting Member

While I do own a number of "bootlegs", there is a difference between a bootleg and tape trading. Boots are distributed with profit in mind. The artist gets screwed out of their portion in that case. Tape trading doesn't (or shouldn't) involve any profit being made and should really be exempt in my view.

Taping/trading/bootlegging isn't going to stop as long as there is a desire for the product.

We wouldn't have many of the old Charlie Parker recordings today if it weren't for some rabid fan sitting in the corner with a reel to reel. Particularly in cases like that, I feel tapers provide more of an archival service. They get my vote anyway.
  16. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    As long as labels and artists aren't offering it, I say boot that sucker! My faves in my collection are bootlegs. Brand New Heavies live in Glasgow, Rage live in Fargo, Jamiroquai live in many places! I've got about 10 of theirs. I love 'em!
  17. kserg

Feb 20, 2004
    London, UK
    You sound like my bro... he has insane collection...
  18. plexibass

Jun 30, 2005
    i have over 500 at this point.....and it isnt enough. woodchuck, tell rashei [cufi] that dave takis said hello. we used to work together at a cd store. great guy. best of luck to you guys. love the new album!!!!
  19. Juneau

Jul 15, 2004
    Dallas, TX.
    More people should do the live now stuff. Soulive, and Steve Kimock are two that I know use the service. Its pretty neat to hang out for 20 minutes after a show, and walk away with a soundboard recording of it in hand :)
  20. jkritchey

Jul 23, 2002
    Northern Va.
    Keep in mind, a lot of these bands would not have an audience if the couldn't build it through sharing or downloading or whatever. Puts the control over distribution and promotion back in the artist's hands.