Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by chris h, Jan 20, 2003.

1. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    It's super cool - but not so cool as to justify the four or five thousand dollar price tag Washburn has put on them
  2. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
    Definitely an attention getter!!!!
  3. alx564

Jul 31, 2000
    Emmaus, PA
    I think its definetely cool that someone is manufacturing them for the masses. But considering the high price tags it really isnt "for the masses" so to speak.

If I ever played that thing on stage I'm pretty sure I would be stoned to death. But it is a pretty funky looking bass though.
  4. I'd love to have that bass... just not for that price. ;)
  5. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    I think its ugly and I would be ashamed to play it.:p
  6. savagelucy

Apr 27, 2002
    that thing is wicked, i'd love to have it. but for five grand? i could probably make a star bass cheaper. if i knew how to make basses or something. :rolleyes: :D
  7. Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    Well, some people might dislike it but one thing is for sure, no one is going to mistake it for something else. I would like to have it both because I like it personally and because it would be a good conversation topic/attention getter...probably more so then my actual bass playing.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Didn't the original have five J pickups in it?
  9. neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    5 grand? golly gee...i think greg (curbow) built one for cheaper than that...i would bet that it's a better bass, too...
  10. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    For $5000, there better be $4,500 hidden in the control cavity.
  11. 5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Word...that thing MIGHT be worth $500...
  12. [​IMG]

I think his hand is hiding the last J pickup, but other pics I've seen have 2 J's and 2 P's. Plus, the body shape and headstock is close...but the rest of the details are kinda lacking. Not too impressive overall though. You can order one for $3500 off of his website. Then it only needs $3000 stuffed in the control cavity.

Edit, and another version of it.

Still strange.
  13. I got a custom portrait of me on the pickgaurd:

14. They will only make 100 of those Bootsy basses. So, "the masses" wouldn't be my word of choice.
    Also, I remember the Bass Player issue with Bootsy on the cover from a few years ago. In it, there was an exchange of words with the guy who built the first star basses for Bootsy, and he said that he'd be happy to build anything for anyone, except for star basses. Those were for Bootsy only. I wish things could always be that way.
  15. mrbungle

Nov 13, 2000
    tampere, finland
    There seems to be several different versions... This one is equipped with 3 p-pickups. I scanned it from Zillatron album cover. I think this is much cooler than the Washburn version.
  16. slam

slam Guest

Mar 22, 2000
    Funk fans worldwide instantly recognize a star-shaped, rhinestone coated bass as the exclusive property of William "Bootsy" Collins. It is his unique instrument, and its sound is one of a kind in his hands. It can be used to create the bottom of all bottoms, a tool for sizzling electric guitar-like soloing, keyboard-like floating ambient bass pads, as well as being a devistating wet funk bass toy. IndieDisco looks into this rare instrument, the effects and equipment used with it.

Sometime around 1976 Bootsy walked into Gus Zoppies guitar shop in Warren, Michigan. A young guitar tech named Larry Pless came out to consult with the tall funkateer. "He told me that he had an idea for a bass guitar he wanted made. He showed me a little drawing he had sketched on a napkin. It was a bass guitar with the body and the headstock shaped as stars. Then we went over the other details of the guitar such as hardware, pickups, wiring, finish and of course a big mirrored pickguard," Larry said in an article. "I told Bootsy that I needed some time to work out the design and the price. This was a fun project for me. I drew several different versions of the star bass until I was happy with the way it looked. The problem was it did not look like the sketch Bootsy had given me. Bootsy wanted a star shaped bass and I wanted to blend the star idea with a more traditional guitar design. I also changed the headstock to be be more functional. This design is known as the star burst design. The price was somewhere around $900."

The Space Bass is more than a shape of an instrument, featuring four different outputs going into four different sets of pedals leading into four sets of amps. In other words, there is a low pick up, a mid pick up, a high pick up, and an ultra-high pick up all coming from the Space Bass into their own Huges and Kettner amps.

Each amp and output, of course, has its own settings from the bass.

On the road, for additional power, the Space Bass benefits from the addition of Alembic pre-amps and two Crown Macro Tech 5000 and two Macro Tech 3600's. There are two specially made cabinets with four 15 inch speakers in each for the mid pick up only. For the live low-end pick up the Space Bass is sent to two 4x18 speaker cabinets, one on each side of the stage. For highs and ultra-highs, four 8x10 inch cabinets are used.

Bootsy has spoken to interviewers about Space Bass effects and when to use them. "The Mu-tron is one I use. A space-case with a lot of gadgets and stuff that rigged up" he said. "It's full of of old analog stuff and in my rack I got some new digi-tech type stuff and I intertwine the old school with the new school. It's like talking, you know? Certain pedals I use to talk with. It's always been a thing with me, not just playing. I've never been a straight ahead player type guy. It's like talking to you. Sometimes you need to be hit upside the head and then sometimes you need to be stroked a little bit. I'm into all of it."

Through other reports and manufacturers' claims, other effects seem to be likely. For wah sounds, one likely source may be the BR-2 Bottom Wah Rocker featuring a uniquely voiced envelope filter circuit custom-tuned for the low-end frequencies of a bass guitar, or so claims the manufacturer.

The Motherpage web site lists Bootsy's effects as : the Electro-Harmonin Big Muff fuzz tone, a Roland Space echo, a Mu-tron III envelope, and an Eventide Harmonizer (R2FunkU, it's called), also mentioning that "he has an extensive collection of Boss and other low-budg pedals . . Plus a large rack that looked like mostly amps and a compressor/limiter."

With such a distinctive sound, design, function, and look you'd have to be rather dim to think you could steal it and sell it somewhere at a pawn shop. But that's exactly what happened. Larry Pless described the event in his article: "Some time later, the first space bass was stolen and Bootsy had me make him another one. Yes, there are 2 space basses. The first one was found in a pawn shop in Cinci., Ohio and returned to Bootsy. Who would be dumb enough to steal such a recognizable guitar as the space bass?"

He continued, describing the wood of the two Space Bass necks. "The first bass had a mahogany body and maple neck. The second bass had a bass wood body and maple neck. Bootsy told me he liked the sound of the frist guitar a little better so I will stick to using mahogany in the future. Every once in a while Bootsy would bring the space back to the shop to have a few more rhinestones put on. After a while we ran out of room. I also made Bootsy a double neck 6/12 string, but I don't know if he used it much."

With the above equipment, natural talent, and years of experience practicing and playing with James Brown and George Clinton, you, too, can recreate the Bootzilla monster sound.
  17. jcadmus

Apr 2, 2000
    Interesting and fun, but not very practical.

I'm guessing with that design and that price, there's a worldwide for about, say, four of them.

I'd imagine this falls in the "concept car" category.