Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bootsy Collins on a new Nike commerical!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by frankencow150, Apr 27, 2002.

1. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Yep,ya know these new nike commericals for the expensive basketball shoes?They try to make them feel all classic and stuff?Well,on the new commercial,theyre showing clips of basketball games and they show Bootsy in the beggining for about 3 seconds in his big snazzy outfit.Then at the end they show him again in a big purple outfit.He's playing a p-bass in both of the parts they show him.I saw it on NBC,so if you wanna see it watch NBC!

2. now that's selling out!:p

3. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    I'd like the ad if it didn' feature two cheesey Carolina alums! ;)

4. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I saw the commercial,and at the beginning Bootsy is shown playing his Star shaped Bass,and at the end he's playing the Star shaped Bass again.

5. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    I guess I was wrong,or we saw 2 different commercials.I was probably just wrong...:p

I havent even really heard much Bootsy,but he just rules in my book!I've heard pfunk and i liked it.That star bass is...odd...yet i like it at the same time!

6. JAUQO III-X

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    CHICAGO,IL.
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    There is a good possibilitie that two versions of the commercial were shot.

7. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    I saw the one with the geezer on keyboards and Bootsy(w/Star bass) in the middle of the gym floor with a couple cheerleaders...sans pedalboard. WWWWWind me up,baba!

8. frankencow150

frankencow150 Guest

Oct 17, 2001
    Does anyone know what song theyre playing?It kind of sounds like Victor Wooten's voice to me!?!?!?!
    :confused:

9. DareDevil

DareDevil

Feb 17, 2002
    Southport, FL
    what are some good bootsy collins songs?

he's done so much stuff with p-funk, James brown, and solo stuff, plus all the other crap he's done it's hard to keep track of it all, so what is some of his better stuff?

10. Jontom

Jontom

Mar 11, 2002
    New York
    P-funks' "The Bomb" compilation would be a good place to start...his solo stuff w/The Rubber Band is a little light on songwriting IMO. Flashlight,Bop Gun, and Chocolate City are the BOMB,baby baba.

11. I can't remember which song that is, but that's definately the voice of Mr. William "Bootsy" Collins. In fact, that was what caught my attention. I was sitting at my computer, probably spaced out, while my roommate watched TV. All of a sudden, I hear "Glory be, the funk's on me!" My ears perked up, and sure enough, it was the man himself. None of my friends were as excited as I was. "And who is this 'Bootsy' you're talking about?"

12. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Just a quick heads-up for all the Bootsy fans:

Bootsy's official website has recently updated (at last!), and I've copied a couple of the more interesting news stories here:

WASHBURN AND BOOTSY ::

I have a correction to make onthe information I gave you about the limited edition Washburn made Bootsy SpaceBass. I am now pleased to tell you that it will NOT be the newer starbass, but the older White Star Bass. That's right funkateers, you can now own the white starbass! While construction has not yet begun, I can tell you only 100 will be made and at this time, the price is unknown. Bootsy will be showing the bass off at the NAMM show July 19-21 in Nashville, Tennessee.

FENDER AND BOOTSY ::

For those wanting a more"bass-like" bass, look for Fender to release a Bootsy signature series bass, based on the Fender Bass he used in the J.B.'s. More info to follow...

Check out all the news: www.bootsycollins.com

Dave

13. ThaJ-Child

ThaJ-Child

Oct 22, 2001
    It's a new song that Bootsy recorded for the commercial. Keep your eyes open, they're filming a new one with George Clinton and Bernie Worrell playing with him...which will most likely be madd dope.

Also check out the new Snoop video "Undacover Funk" (or Undercova Funk, I'm not sure how they spell it). It's a remake of Parliament's "Tear the Roof Off". Bootsy redid all the music and is in the video as much as Snoop is.

"Aaah...twinkle twinkle baba"

14. ebozzz

ebozzz Supporting Member

May 17, 2001
    Denver, Colorado
    His first three solo projects are the best that he's done in that capacity IMO.

15. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Here's a custom fretless that Curbow made for someone.

[​IMG]

This one is a fretless with gold hardware, and the finish was a pearl white. I never got to see it when it was finished, and set up.

Part of me wishes I'd had him make my new 8 string as a star bass, but I was concerned I would get sick of the shape eventually.

16. oddentity

oddentity

Nov 20, 2000
    Philly
    I noticed that Buckethead is in that video quite a bit, too!