Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bootsy Collins Space Bass:strap buttons placement?!

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Le Basseur, Feb 1, 2006.

1. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Hi all,
    Take a look here:
    http://www.washburn.com/products/basses/spacebass.aspx
    While I sorta understand the reason for placing the rear strap button where it is,I just cannot see why the other one is placed UNDER and not on the upper horn.
    I never saw Bootsy playing (though I listened him constantly from the good ol'days) and my only refference is this pic:
    http://cache.boston.com/bonzai-fba/AFP_Photo/2004/02/09/1076335479_4276.jpg
    The strap button placement issue is due to his playing position or of the bass' shape?
    Any comment is welcomed!
    Regards,
    Le Basseur

PS for mods:
    I'm not sure that I placed this thread in the right section...if so,please move it where do you think it belongs.
    Thank you!

2. reitedasc

reitedasc

Jun 23, 2005
    Norway
    Is bootsy playing his own space bass or a washburn signature?

3. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
  4. I believe Bootsy's original space basses (IE the ones he owned and had made) were made by an independant luthier - washburn then licenced the design and produced the sig model with Bootsy's approval.

As far as I know, that is.

5. Le Basseur

Le Basseur

Mar 26, 2002
    Croatia
    Thanks for input!I didn't know this detail.
    The Space Bass history is less relevant now...my question is why the lower strap button was placed there?
    Regards,

6. Bass

Bass

Nov 10, 2003
    Canada
    My guess is that the button is on the lower horn so the bass will balance properly.

7. I agree. In that pic you can that the bass is at a near 45 degree angle, if the button was on the top horn it would be closer to parallel with the floor. That's probably Bootsy preference.