Bootsy: double P double J

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by barroso, Jul 13, 2002.

1. barroso

Aug 16, 2000

a lot of Bootsy's basses are equipped with 2 Precision pickups at neck and doubled J at bridge.
    since i am really interested in weird pickup configurations i'd love to know how these bootsy's basses are wired.
    can you help me?

ps Bootsy Rules!
  2. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    AFAIK they're all wired individually, with a separate output for each pup (cf. Billy Sheehan).
    If you look closely at the pic, you'll see that he runs three(!) cables from his bass.
    He once said in an interview that he runs each pup through different FX and amps IIRC.
    So I guess the pots are just individual volume pots (and tone?) for each pup.
  3. Aaron

Jun 2, 2001
    Bellingham, WA
    IIRC, only one of bootsy's basses has the ppjj configuration, his first star bass (the one shown.) His second star bass is JJJJJ. But i could be wrong.
  4. SMG

SMG Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    metro Detroit
    I have a bass built by Ed Reynolds in Austin that has two J pickups next to each other in the bridge position and a P pickup in the middle position. There is a master volume, a pan that opporates between the P and the pair of J's, a pan that opporates between the two J's, and then a 3-band EQ. Lots of different tones, though I am not sure how much difference they would make in an actual band setting. (Sorry, I haven't had the opportunity to play this bass in a performance setting.) With the pan between the P and the J set placed in the middle, it is surprising how much difference the pan between the two J's makes. It is an interesting set up.