Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BOOTSY!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Bassline1414, Nov 5, 2000.

1. I just bought a James Brown cd (Funk Power, 1970: A Brand New Thang) and I have to say, Bootsy is awesome on this album! I have a Parliament cd, but I was much more impressed with Bootsy's groove and overall playing on this album. So what y'all thing of Bootsy?

2. Bootsy rules!

I have 3 bootsy's rubber band albums (including live in louisville 1977), his playing is amazing. His stuff with the rubber band is the best, but you'll have to be prepared for all out filthy and sleazy funk!

I also have an original 12" single of Bootzilla/Hollywood Squres - it's the pride of my collection!

IMO: His playing with JB was more straight forward than his later stuff. The later stuff tends to be more broken up, less constant, full-on slap - - more devloped IMO.

Check out the album, 'player of the year' by bootsy's rubber band.

If you like Bootsys playing get hold of some larry graham stuff while he was in Graham Central Station.

WRT to James Brown, I prefer the late 60's orginal funk stuff... with the upright bass. I think JB's earlier stuiff has the best grooves of all time. Try James Brown:Foundations of Funk - it's a double CD and it's incredible. Brings tears to your eyes it's soooo funky!!!

3. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I remember hearing some amazing music in the late 70s early 80s in "Discos" and in particular, I can remember hearing a long track with a very prominent bass line - very loud in the mix - that was so weird and unlike anything else I'd heard and as a bassplayer I wanted to play like that!

I was told at the time it was Parliament and Bootsy. But I've never been able to find anything of theirs that sounded like that - I've had a few greatest hits albums and they're pretty good, but not as "weird" as the tracks I heard then - closer to say EW&Fire, than anything.

The track I'm thinking of in particular might have been "live" ,whereas all the albums I've heard since have been studio recordings.

Can anyone recommend any live Parliament albums where Bootsy's bass is really loud in the mix?

4. On most of the stuff I have he's pretty quiet - the loudest is the 70's JB stuff.

For the 70's disco, funk stuff I'd recommend the Rubber Band.

While we're on the subject of disco, has anyone heard p teh Mike Theodore Orchestra?

I got a CD of theirs the other day, 2 albums on one CD, it's basically a full orchestra, with drum, leccy bass, guitar, moog an' all that playing late 70's disco, brilliant!!

5. Bruce - Parliament does have a live album called
    "Parliament Live (P. Funk Earth Tour)

I've heard 3 Bootsy solo songs: If 6 was 9, Bootsy's Rubber Band, and their other hit, forgot the name....

6. sex machine by james brown thats a nice up and coming bootsy groove on the subject of parliment i would have to say that maggot brain by funkedelic is a must have, i am not sure if bootsy is on it but most of his teachers of the funk are

7. Bruce Lindfield

Well after thinking about this and how I need some more funk in my collection, I took the plunge and searched the internet for live CDs to buy. I have now ordered a 4 CD set called "PARLIAMENT/ FUNKADELIC - LIVE 1976-93". I'll let you know what it's like - the strong £ means that it seems cheap to me, but is probably fairly expensive to you all in the USA.

8. sounds good!

i have a best of album of funkadelic, o0ne of my fav tunes is Cholly (Funk Get Ready To Roll) - at least I think that's what it's called.

the bass is fantastic!

9. APouncer

APouncer

Nov 3, 2000
    Lancashire, UK
    The groove to move and remove - dig? Is Funkadelic, is Funkadelic, is Funkadelic. Get ready to Roll. More downright funky, more improvised, more free and easy funk than the sister band Parliament - George and Bootsy show it is! ! !

10. went home and listened to 'AAH THE NAME IS BOOTSY BABY!'
    last night... cool!!!!

But it does have to be said that Bootsy Collins is one SLEAZY geezer!!!!

the 2nd 1/2 of the above album is real cheesy love songs,,.

"If I can have you lobve then what's a telephone bill"

nice grrrrrroooooove tho!

11. markedwardchurch

markedwardchurch

Aug 31, 2000
    I got that "Funk Power 1970: A Brand New Thang" CD a few months ago and its been played several times a day since!
    I mostly like Sex Machine, Give it up..., and there's an infectious groove later on in Soul Power. I think "In the Jungle Groove" has a lot of these tracks plus a few pre-Bootsy tracks.
    I also have the "Foundations of Funk" CD also mentioned and that got a thrashing too. There's something more subtle and ....clinical about this earlier funk. I've seen a short clip of a Bootsied-up live version of "Ain't it Funky", and I wish I could hear the whole thing.
    I also have the Parliament compilation "Tear the Roof Off...", bought last year. I like most Parliament stuff, but there are some things they do that really turn me off. The same goes for Bootsy's solo stuff.
    The song of theirs with the prominent bassline could be "Flashlight", but that ain't Bootsy, its Bernie Worrell on the Moog.
    Another of my Funk favourites is a cheap compilation called "Stone Cold Funk", well worth the NZ$10 I paid for it. Ripple, The Meters, Joe Tex "I Gotcha" (just worked this out!),Aaron Neville "Hercules" (ditto), Maceo & All The King's Men...its great!
    You'll find some great bass on "Fresh" by Sly and the Family Stone- by Sly himself and Rusty Allen. Buy it now.

12. Bruce Lindfield

I know what "Flashlight" sounds like, I've got this on a compilation and it was definitely live bass guitar on the track I was thinking of. I get the impression that Parliament were very different live to their studio records, as these sound a bit "sterile" to me - anyway, I'll find out for myself, when I get the live 4 CD set I ordered!

13. I think what adds to the whole groove of the earlier JB stuff is the atmosphere. The fact that they're recorded live by 10 guys in a smokey room just jamming.

My personal favourites are:

Aint It Funky Now: the original version is about 8 minutes. and right towards the end you hear JB saying to one of his band:

"Do you like it?"
    "yeeeeaaassss isss funky Now"

"Is it mellow brother"
    "Reeeaaaal, Reeeaaaal Funkeeeeah"

and after a solo: "leave that little horn alone you should be ashamed of yourself!"

My other fav from that era is Get it Together - the 2nd part of the recording has the most amazing groove and improv i have EVER heard.

"Can I get four fellows? If I can get four I gotta open the door and leave"

Horns: Pah, pah, pah, pah "OOooooowwwwaaah! Good God!"

He feels it and expressed it beyond perfection.

It's the water-tight looseness and the jam that gets me. A totally indrecible creation. JB's early funk has a million times the groove of 99% of any other music since.

I saw him live recently and while he was obvioulsy old, he still played for just under 3 hours, non-stop and gave an amazing stage show - puts most modern bands to shame. I paid £35 a ticket and came home knowing that I would have happily paid double!

14. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Two songs...

"Sex Machine"
    "SuperBad"

Damn:D

And what did "you" record before you were 20?;)

BTW nobody could touch JB at screaming IMO. I still remember one time way back when when he screamed so hard...he literally ran out of air.

Funk today and Funk back then are two different things.

15. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Also, for you bass-fixated types, check out the drums on "SuperBad" especially at the bridge.

Damn. It's a clinic in one song.

16. drums: funky drummer - the inspiration for a million hip-hop tracks. Probably literally?

17. markedwardchurch

markedwardchurch

Aug 31, 2000
    Clap your hands... stomp your feet... Clyde!

... Bootsy!

18. Damn, Catfish, Bootsy's bro, tears it up on guitar on this record too!

19. Bruce Lindfield

I did finally get the 4CD-set of Parliament/Funkadelic live 76-93, but I have to admit that although there is some great bass playing, overall it is diappointing. Mostly because the sound isn't very good, but also because it has a lot of audience involvement numbers and raps to the audience, which must have been good if you were there but don't make for repeated listening at home! :rolleyes:

There is a really good bass solo on the track "Funkentelechy" which sounds like Stanley Clarke but funkier. There are no details of personnel on the CD, so is there a chance that Stanley was "guesting" or is it Bootsy? And if so, I think he must have had a big influence on Stanley Clarke, more than I would have imagined.

The performance is listed as "Hampton Coliseum, Hampton Virginia, 3rd June 1978." Anyone know who played bass on that gig or any guests?

20. markedwardchurch

markedwardchurch

Aug 31, 2000
    Funkentelechy has my favourite Parliament bassline