1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bootsy's sound and effect on Parliament's "Flashlight"

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by bassdogEmer, Jul 19, 2012.

1. bassdogEmer

bassdogEmer

Sep 14, 2005
    San Francisco
    Endorsing Artist: Mesa Boogie Amps, Bag end,Thomastik - Infeld Strings
    hey - anybody out there know what Bootsy might be using on his bass in this tune??

also - specifically that ultra fast vibrato sounding stuff a the end of some of his phrases...anyone got any insight??
    try to keep it to actual knowledge if possible rather than speculation but I 'll take what I can get!!!
    cheers
    Drew

2. Portphilia

Portphilia

Jun 8, 2012
    SATX
    I'm not too sure.. buy that's the damn funkiest thing I've ever heard.

3. Spencer!

Spencer!

Jun 25, 2006
    Seattle
    Owner, Pike Amplification & 3Leaf Audio
    That's a Moog bass performed by Bernie Worrell.

4. bass12

bass12 And Grace, too

Jun 8, 2008
    Montreal, Canada
    Yep, that tune is known for it's pioneering role in synth-bass-fuelled funk.

5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson SUSPENDED

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    DR Strings
    Yep, he's using a Bernie Worrell. David Byrne used one too.
    ;)

6. Which kind of effect would get closest to that sound? Just like a synth something?

7. My band 5 flavor discount plays that song. I use: Boss syb5 into boss oc2 into an MXR bass envelope filter. between the synth and octave pedal i get a nice smooth synth sound and then the MXR gives it that little "wobble" effect. Not exact, but sound really close the the Bernie sound.

8. MBlom

MBlom

Dec 23, 2011
    Gothenburg, Sweden
    I'll continue to preach the word of the Moogerfooger. You can get some seriously x-rated funky stuff out of those.

Edit: Erased a stupid question.

9. Explorer

Explorer

Jul 4, 2010
    Er... I think it might be hidden in this topic's title.

To answer the OP's question, Bootsy was doing drum duty on this track, while his brother Catfish was playing the most incredible and unbelievably funky rhythm guitar this boy here had every heard, driving him to spend over a decade playing and pursuing the guitar funk.