1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bootzilla strings?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by santucci218, Mar 4, 2008.

1. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    sititing in the music store. the elixer string thread got me a thinkin about coated strings and these seem nice. they are steel with a coating over them.

any input?

the d'addario pro steels i am using now sound like upright bass strings and ive been using them for only a month or so!

2. These are shyte

I tried them once, it was 52 dollars canadian for a 4 string set. Nice tension, but the whole marketing thing about great growl in their sound is all bull. The whole coated thing I am not too crazy about, it feels like the string has dead skin on it already. They were a waste of money imo, but if you have the cash to blow, give em a try. one mans trash is anothers treasure

Andrew

3. DR makes coated strings that maintain life (and consistant tone) for a long time. They sound like D'Addario nickel wound strings after 4 hours of playing, and they stay sounding like that. If you don't need crazy-bright strings, give them a try.

4. santucci218

santucci218

Jan 26, 2007
    Pittsburgh
    is asking for a string that doesnt die in a week too hard!?

5. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    I've heard that the bootzilla DR's are very sticky.

6. I don't have any experience with the strings but chances are if Bootsy's name is on them they probably suck and he probably doesn't even (probably never has/will) use them. I love Bootsy but he's like freakin' Gene Simmons - he'll plaster his name on pretty much anything for a buck.

7. I actually use them in .110-.050 and I actually like them. I don't play professionally, so my bass is on my stand until I pick it up a few+ times per week. They are bright, but not crazy bright on my G&L L-2000 maple board. I've used Roto Swing Bass that sounded brighter when new. The coating doesn't bother me at all. I really don't even notice it. I would prefer a grittier, rougher string. I play with a 1.14 pick sometimes, just fooling around, and I still don't notice the "waxy, crappy" coating coming off ( just paraphrasing another poster in another thread ). I don't understand all the hate. They're not that bad.

8. mcdmon

mcdmon

Apr 22, 2009
    Gainesville area
    I am bringing this thread back to life because I am thinking of trying them out (50-110 set). I am using DR LoRiders (50-110) and am looking for slightly more tension and have heard that the bootzillas will do it (because of the coating). Please give me some info based on experience (and please, if you think they suck or rock, give details).

9. the coating?

that won't change the tension, the feel yes but not tension, if it's a heavier gauge it will be more tense. try that.

otherwise you're curing gum disease with a vasectomy.

Mystic Michael likes this.
  10. lol +1
    I gotta ask though, how low are you tuning if a 50-110 set isn't tense enough? Sounds like you might want to just try using the lowest 4 of a 5 string set. Or just get a 5 string ;)

11. mcdmon

mcdmon

Apr 22, 2009
    Gainesville area
    The last post in this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=578149&highlight=heard+string+combo&page=3
    I guess I inferred that when the poster said "the black are real tight" that they were comparing them to non-coated hex-core DR strings. I assumed this would translate to their other coated hex-core strings. Guess not.

12. Skunk11

Skunk11

Sep 9, 2009
    San Antonio
    mcdmon,

I also use DR Lo-Riders because I like the tension. I've tried the Bootzillas and they had less tension than the Lo-Riders. I didn't like them at all and went back to my Lo-Riders.

13. johniiieee

johniiieee

Sep 17, 2006
    uk
    they are frickin awesome! played a gig last night and my tone was off the scale.

14. steamthief

steamthief

Jan 25, 2006
    Mentone Beach
    I had a set on my sr4 and liked them a lot, good mids/highs w/ a lot less string noise.

15. bassbombs84

bassbombs84

Dec 26, 2008
    Back from the dead....

Anyone try these lately???
    Liking the idea of coated lo riders

16. LanEvo

LanEvo Supporting Member

Mar 10, 2008
    Manhattan
    Just strung up my '66 Jazz with a set. Much darker tone than regular, uncoated DR strings. Slightly less output, too. The coating also feels a bit sticky to the fingers (but all coated strings feel a little wierd to me).

For me, the fingerstyle tone isn't too inspiring. Kind of flat and generic sounding. But I like the slap tone. Because they're not super bright and zingy, they have a nice thumpy slap tone. Lots of presence. The "weight" doesn't disappear even if you scoop the mids a little bit.

If I were heavy into slap&pop stuff, I think I'd really dig these strings. As a mainly fingerstyle player, I would choose Sunbeams for sure.

bassbombs84 likes this.