Bootzillas and Dull Tone???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rickbass, Aug 4, 2003.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Some background - one of my guitarists put on some coated, (long-life), Elixirs on his Les Paul about a year ago and a couple of of us in the band commented how dull his tone was in comparison to the regular roundwounds he was previously using.

So - Being one who like to try new strings, I was thinking about getting the new, DR, "Bootzilla" (Bootsy Collins Signature) strings.

DR simply describes them as "crunchy and COATED".

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who is familiar the brightness and "piano zing" of stainless steel roundwounds in regard to the relative brightness/dullness of coated bass strings.

Thanks much!
  2. fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Unfortunately, the strings are not crunchy IMOE. Coated yes, very sticky yes, dull yes. I bought them in view of using them on my Ken Lawrence Brase I 5 (strung with MTDs) to get the benefit of coating and the crunch (that the ad described). Returning to MTDs
  3. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    I tryed them, I don't care for any coated string whatsoever but Bootzillas SUCK! I'd rather use Elixirs before them.
  4. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I had a better experience with a set of Elixirs, too. I tried a set of 'zillas that I got for cheap (already use Sunbeams a lot) and they weren't terribly exciting on a Musicman Sabre.
  5. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Bootzillas are for using heavey effects. Effects dont sound good with brite lite strings.

I think. Im just guessing :D