1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bootzillas and Dull Tone???

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by rickbass, Aug 4, 2003.

1. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Some background - one of my guitarists put on some coated, (long-life), Elixirs on his Les Paul about a year ago and a couple of of us in the band commented how dull his tone was in comparison to the regular roundwounds he was previously using.

So - Being one who like to try new strings, I was thinking about getting the new, DR, "Bootzilla" (Bootsy Collins Signature) strings.

DR simply describes them as "crunchy and COATED".

I would appreciate hearing from anyone who is familiar the brightness and "piano zing" of stainless steel roundwounds in regard to the relative brightness/dullness of coated bass strings.

Thanks much!

2. fullrangebass

fullrangebass

May 7, 2005
    Europe
    Unfortunately, the strings are not crunchy IMOE. Coated yes, very sticky yes, dull yes. I bought them in view of using them on my Ken Lawrence Brase I 5 (strung with MTDs) to get the benefit of coating and the crunch (that the ad described). Returning to MTDs

3. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    I tryed them, I don't care for any coated string whatsoever but Bootzillas SUCK! I'd rather use Elixirs before them.

4. groove pump

groove pump

Oct 24, 2006
    I had a better experience with a set of Elixirs, too. I tried a set of 'zillas that I got for cheap (already use Sunbeams a lot) and they weren't terribly exciting on a Musicman Sabre.

5. 00Funk

00Funk Banned

Jul 17, 2006
    Dallas TX
    Bootzillas are for using heavey effects. Effects dont sound good with brite lite strings.

I think. Im just guessing :D