Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bootzillas or Black Beauties (or something else)

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by krazy_olie, Mar 4, 2006.

1. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    Well I need some new strings and I'm planning on keeping the same ones for a while. I've just joined a less rocky band compared to what I usually play so I need something rich with good lows and mids. I won't be battling against distorted guitar much so I don't need something really bright.

From what I've read the lo-riders seem more focused and seeing as bootzillas are coated lo-riders they seem more for me. However the Black beauties seem nice and look cool.

Then again I may just go for some English handmade newtone strings.

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I tried a set of Black Beauties a while back and really liked them. They felt good and sounded very full. I would recommend them. I also tried a set of Bootzillas a few weeks ago. They sound similar to the BBs, but felt like they were smeared with cottage cheese. The coating felt NASTY. Some may like that but I took them off after a few days. BBs are the way forward in the world of DR coated strings, IMO. Good luck.

3. krazy_olie

krazy_olie

May 10, 2004
    Thanks, surprising about having a bad coating. Is it anything like the coating on elixirs? don't like that.

4. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I haven't tried Elixirs, or any other coated string for that matter. The Bootzillas turned me off to the entire concept. WORST FEELING STRINGS EVER!!! I have been using DR Hi-Beams and Sunbeams for a few years now, and I really like both of them. They seem to outlast all of the other "naked" strings I have tried, sound great and feel "just right", IMO. Good luck with the search.

5. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    Screw all of those {Jizz Covered Strings}. Coated strings suck! I like DR's but I don't like the coated ones.

6. ElBajista

ElBajista

Dec 13, 2005
    Sebring, FL
    Any particular reason?

7. NGMBass

NGMBass

Feb 28, 2006
    Well It seems like the coated string concept is for those of us that can't afford to change strings often. Also they look & sound great on my G&L L2500 ,Blonde with a hard rock maple neck, with DR Black beauties

8. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    I actually have a pair of Bootzillas on my Jazz. They sound pretty good honestly. I get a real nice burpy tone. But I'm also jacking my mids, relying on my bridge pickup, and playing a little in front of the bridge. I get the tone I want, which is good. But like a lot of these guys have said, the coating on the Bootzillas is terrible. It took about 1 month for the string to stop "shedding" coating. It would leave behind reminents of white, which I would of course wipe away after I played, since I usualy wipe my neck when I'm done playing. But, if you don't want to wait to get a good tone, skip out on the Bootzillas. Might I reconmend a pair of TI's. I've found there strings really good so far. But I think my Powerbass's are almost dead :(. I got them a little bit before christmas, so it's been almost 3 months.

9. SGT. Pepper

SGT. Pepper Banned

Nov 20, 2005
    Phila,Pa.
    They lack the output of non-coated strings. On some,the coating acts as insulation causing hum. Regular DR's last for about six months. That seems sufficient to me and I rather have more tone.