1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

BOOYAH! (mesa)

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wilser, Aug 24, 2007.

1. This arrived today. I can't express how happy I am with the sound and volume of this thing. It's not as heavy as I thought it would feel at 110lbs.

[​IMG]

2. Foxworthy925

Foxworthy925 Guest

Feb 24, 2007
    Bay Area, CA
    congrats. I bet the whole rig sounds amazing! have you played it in a band setting yet?

3. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Me very jealous. I have a Walkabout, but what you got is twice as good. Congrats.

4. Not yet. It just arrived this morning. The nearest rehearsal is Monday. I shall report then.

5. anyonefortennis

anyonefortennis Supporting Member

Jun 28, 2005
    Lincoln, NE
    IS that the 2x10 or the 2x12 model?

They had one at rudy's when I was there last week but didn't play it.

6. casio

casio

Aug 1, 2007
    Croatia
    great rig man:D
    I'm sure it sounds unbelievable!best of wishes for it working out!:D

7. Folmeister

Folmeister Knowledge is Good - Emile Faber Supporting Member

May 7, 2003
    Tomball, Texas
    Those Venture combos are one of the best things that Mesa makes. A tad heavy, but very tasty. Congratulations! Is that the 2X12 combo?

8. Yes it's the 2x12 ...they don't make the 2x10 anymore. I had ordered it with the wine taurus covering but either they didn't have it at the time the built it or someone messed up the order (sure it wasn't the store because they showed me the slip). No sweat, it's great nonetheless.

9. nice.

10. neptoon

neptoon Supporting Member

Jul 25, 2000
    Melbourne, FL
    oh wow...that's hot...

11. Great amp and bass but why is your strap Pink?

Do you have breast cancer?

just curious.

12. ERIC31

ERIC31

Jul 1, 2002
    Maricopa, AZ
    Nice setup. I'm jealous!

13. Jeff O'Connor

Jeff O'Connor Gold Supporting Member

Feb 16, 2004
    Stratford, CT
    The strap is red you dork. Fix your monitor.....:rolleyes:

14. YOU are pink, ya lousy bum.

15. Steeltoe

Steeltoe

Mar 4, 2003
    Los Angeles
    What a smoking rig!
    Are you happy now??
    You've got me jonesin'...

16. I'd wrap Pink around my neck anyday ;-)......as long as she was quiet!

17. I've got the 2x10 combo and it's my favorite amp of all time. I've been thinking of getting the 2x12 version, but I'm just a huge fan of 10's.

18. seansbrew

seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Wow that's nice. Please post a review after you put it through its paces.

19. seansbrew

seansbrew

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    +1 I love the way bass sounds thru tens

20. I used to love 210s too. But this thing sounds so much better! It's got more punch and more low end than I could ever get with the 210s I've used.

The 3 band eq is extremely versatile (active bass/treb boost and passive mid cut) and is enough to get all the great tones I crave. The 5 band takes a little getting used to but can be used to tweak a bit or a lot and shape up the tone just perfect.

The compressor is very musical and can go from subtle to extreme settings and still sounds good.

My only problem is that the master output control also affects the DI output, so if you turn down the master to 0 you don't get any DI at all.

The footswitch is very sturdy and controls everything on the amp but the 3 band eq. It's great to have a separate solo setting so that you can boost just a little bit for those spotlight moments.

Back of the amp has every kind of patching you may want and you can even blend the effects loop with the dry signal. There is a separate footswitch connector that is not described on the manual and it's for a simple 1 switch foot controller for the tuner mute (in case you don't need the rest of the switches in the big foot controller).

This thing is extremely loud. 600w ain't no joke. And the cab is designed in such a way that it sounds VERY deep and punchy. The highs are not harsh even on the highest settings. Player control network is useful, especially if you use multiple basses with different tones.

I'm not a strong man and didn't have any problems lifting up the amp to get into the back of my Murano. The side handles are very strong. I stand on the back of the amp, grab it through the side handles, tilt it back slightly, pivot the pull bar on my waist, lift up and slide in. No problems with the weight. I wish the handle on the top would be telescopic as it seems a hair too short to roll comfortably for my height (I'm 5' 11''), but not too bad.

I placed the order through a local shop. I ordered a custom covering (wine taurus) but to my disappointment received the regular black rhino. I asked Mesa if wine taurus could be done before ordering and they said yes. I've still to get an answer as to what happened, but my guess would be they didn't have it in stock. I would have liked to have been told before hand and they should have had ME make the call if I still wanted it or not. I would have said yes anyway, but to me it's just good customer service to keep the client up to speed with their custom orders.