Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Borders Books and Music

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Monte, Mar 7, 2001.

1. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    Any of youse guys playing the Border's circuit? I played frequently at the 2 around here with a singer, so I decided to drop off my new demo for my group and get us a few dates at Borders. We hadn't played there in a few years, and I could always use some new cd's. Well, it turns out to play at Borders after March, you need to be booked through the home office in Ann Arbor, MI. Very simple, they say. Just call this long-distance number and leave a message w/ your name, phone, and e-mail. Some one will get back with you in 2-4 weeks. After that they will give you an address to send 2 copies of your cd and various paperwork, and a regional rep will get back with you. Is it just me, or is this overly complicated for a gig that pays in gift certificates?

Monte

2. They pay you in gift certificates!!??? It's been a couple years since I've played a Border's; there were a few I used to work at occassioanlly around eastern PA and southern NJ. We were always paid cash.

3. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    We have always gotten paid in $50 gift certificates. OK, if you don't have another gig; I can always use more cd's. Interesting that you got paid in cash; they always told us that corporate policy didn't allow that.

I just recently considered booking my own group there after a 2 year hiatus because I got so mad at them the last time. They had booked us to play on a Saturday night. As seems to always be the case, I got offered another gig for the same night. Couldn't find a sub, so I honored the agreement to play at Border's. Showed up and they had some flamenco group booked the same night. The manager told me, "Sorry, they were booked through the chain and I forgot to call and cancel." I tried to get my gift certificates anyway but the manager who had signed the contract was no longer there.
    Guess I should have learned my lesson.

Monte

4. Maybe that's more of a store policy than a corporate policy. Or maybe the stores around here are renagades. Or maybe the guy I was working for got paid in gift certificates and paid the rest of us in cash (unlikely, not only did that guy suck, he was known for being super cheap). That would be too funny if that cat was getting paid in gift certificates! He played a lot of solo gigs at Border's, there's like 4 or 6 stores in PA, NJ, DE area he plays (while I worked for him he only booked a trio or quartet a few times a year, but he'd play all these solo gigs in between). The thought of this cat with a pile of gift certificates at home is crackin' me up. Can you tell?

5. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    It can be pretty funny. The group I played with most was a (suprisingly good) 14 yr. old singer. Her dad also played the drums. I always spent my gift cert. right away; the OKC Borders had a great jazz section, although a really lousy classical section. Anyway, at the end of the year, they had piled up over $2k in gift certificates. Guess what all their family got for Christmas?

6. Bob Gollihur

Bob Gollihur GollihurMusic.com

Mar 22, 2000
    New Joisey Shore
    Big Cheese Emeritus: Gollihur Music
    Just noticed this older thread. I do some 2 hr. Borders gigs sitting in with a blues guitarist; when I do we split the $100 cash he gets. No gift certificate offers so far.

7. dhosek

dhosek

May 25, 2000
    Los Angeles, CA
    There was just an article on this in one of the local papers lately. Apparently it's a cost-cutting measure: It used to be each store had its own booker, and now they're consolidating it. Not every store is going through the central office though: Chicago has one booker for the city and close-in suburbs, according to the article. There have been bunches of other cuts and job reclassifications (the latter a scammy way of cutting people's salaries without outright admitting to doing so).

-dh

8. Mark Gollihur

Mark Gollihur Supporting Member Commercial User

Jul 19, 2000
    Gloucester County, NJ
    Owner/President, Gollihur Music LLC
    So what's this number to call?

9. Monte

Monte

Jan 9, 2001
    New Albany, MS
    I can't find it, but your local Borders manager will have it. It is a machine where you leave your name, number, and e-mail and they will supposedly get back with you. I'm still waiting and not holding my breath.

Monte