Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bored at home and looking at my SG - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by HeavyDuty, Mar 13, 2003.

1. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    I've been home since Tuesday with Hawk, one of our Greyhounds. (You may remember my thread about his cancer - we decided to amputate, and one of us needs to stay with him the first week until he's steadier on his feet.)

Anyway, I tried bringing a bass upstairs, but the low freq rumble scares him even at low volumes.

I have an SG I traded for a while back so I could have one decent electric guitar around the house. I really don't know how to play guitar (actually, I could make the same argument for bass ;) ) beyond simple chordal strumming, and damn few chords at that.

I know he's not annoyed by guitar as much as bass, so I'm tempted to bring the SG and my little 10W tube amp upstairs and do some woodshedding. Suggestions for simple songs for me to learn?

I'm thinking about working on AC/DC "Back in Black", a stereotypical SG song.

2. I'm in the same boat as you. Got a Nashville Telecaster but can't play worth anything. I like to play REM's "Fall on Me" because it gives me a chance to practice arpeggiating chords. I like playing rhythm parts as opposed to solos or main riffs.

3. Nirvana??;) that seems pretty easy, anyways I hope your dog is doing good. i like dogs too, i have a terrier myself and she gets scared when i play bass too.

take care
    rodrigo.

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    Bored with AC/DC already. OK, I've moved on to Petty (Freefallin') and REM (Talk About the Passion)... trying to learn to play cleanly. Ugh.

5. anything by the chili peppers dude, start with the whole album califrornication, stuff like "otherside", "californication", "scar tissue", then move on to stuff like "higher ground" wich has some palm mutes, man, i suck at guitar and i can play them great, they are just really easy and fun

6. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Lemme think... all the beginners seem to play "Sultans of swing" by Dire Straights, Cocain, Smoke on the water, and La Bamba.

7. If I'm not mistaken, Sultans of Swing requires picking with all four fingers and thumb to play properly.

Try some Smashing Pumpkins, 'Disarm' and 'Today' or anything else off that album... Pink Floyd 'Wish you were here'... Black Sabbath is good and heavy for the SG and pretty easy for the most part.