Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bored on bass :(

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by TT, Feb 23, 2001.

1. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
    Hi guys,

I'm kinda board on what to play on bass(have a concert nexted saturday)! What I mean is can you recomend some good songs with some " good "basslines that'll give me something to do :D

2. rllefebv

rllefebv

Oct 17, 2000
    Newberg, Oregon
    "Everyday People" by Sly and the Family Stone... Larry Graham on bass

-robert

3. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
    thanks keep em coming guys I want to be very busy :D

4. Bouree by jethro tull. that should keep you busy

5. Rock? Pop? Blues? Fusion? Jazz? Can you be a bit more specific?

6. Board as in a plank of wood? I have some 4 ply out in the shed. Or i could throw in a hard one with some Jarra.

If you're bored on bass, try Free's Mr Big, its such a cool song, it uses harmonics too. so simplistic yet so effective.

Merls

7. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    I suspect that if you're bored, it's your own fault. In my experience, anyone who claims to be "BORED" with what they are doing musically is really advertising a different subtext: "I'm too lazy to figure out what to do next, but I want to appear to others as though I'm just such a great talent that what I'm doing doesn't tax my abilities at all." If you are truly bored with what you are doing, find something harder.

If, on the other hand, you truly are "board", that's a genetic thing and I can't help you with that.

8. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Without knowing your background in bass and what music genres interest you, I'll go ahead and suggest that you attempt any of Stu Hamm's music, also Michael Manring's and Victor Wooten's.

jason oldsted

9. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
    okay my music background is I've been playing bass for 15 years the last 6 gigging. Basically what I would like is some cool funk songs like I can properly play the WHOLE Jaco: come on come over song :) and I can play me and my bass guitar.

10. eli

eli Mad showoff 7-stringer and Wish lover Supporting Member

Dec 12, 1999
    NW suburban Chicago
    The Tower of Power grestest hits collection is a 2-CD set called "WHAT IS HIP". Aside from being just an AWESOME collection of funk grooves, it can be viewed as a master class on how to play funk without slapping. Francis Rocco Prestia admits that he can't play much else, but MAN can he play this $hit. One of my early influences. You plow through all of this stuff, and you READY.

11. TT

TT

Feb 14, 2001
    cool thanks I'll look into that

12. "Sunday Morning" by No Doubt has a funky bass line...but depending on your ability I suspect it may be a little easy. How about something by the Chilli's?

13. "So I Got to Groove" by Tower of Power; feathery, 16th note funk line that is one of the coolest on the planet.

"Pleasure" by Glide to get that thumb going, solid funk tune.

"Slave" by Slide for some nasty, fat, greasy gritty funk.

Almost anything by The Meters.

Dan

14. Some people reckon a Fender Jazz has a piece of 2X4 board for a neck I tend to agree.

OHHHH! you mean bored well considering you have been playing so long why don't you write your own songs that way they won't be boring and you can always improvise over them and constantly change them sound good I think it does but thats my NSHO! ( not so humble opinion)

15. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone

I get it.

16. Chris, your cat has great hand (paw?) positions. How long has he been playing? Has he got any CD's or mp3's out there? What gear does he use? Is it a he? Did he/she have any formal tuition? Does he/she play in Pussycat, or maybe Nashville Pussy? Does he/she give lessons? I could pay in catfood!

17. CS

CS

Dec 11, 1999
    UK
    Play a record whoops CD and play it front to back. Now play along with it. Some suggestions.

Jagged Little Pill

Globe Sessions

Parklife

Exodus

18. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    You know, it's funny you should ask that..."Skippy" was just in the process or recording his first CD last week when disaster struck - he was reaching to play a low "F" in the second chorus of a solo over "The Night Has a Thousand Mice", when he spontaneously - and very unwisely, as it turns out - decided to try to play it sul ponticello . The result of this dubious decision was that he simultaneously dislocated both of his front shoulders, so he'll be out of action for a while. It's a shame, too, 'cause the solo was absolutely burning up to that point.

Best wishes and get well soon notes may be forwarded to my email...in the meantime I'll be looking into getting him a 1/18 size bass. Anybody seen any for sale recently?

19. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Chris is right on the mark with his statement, IMO, maybe not so harsh in my response.

To take it a step further, when I see a bassist with lots of effects/effects processors that says to me, they aren't expanding their musical horizons, technique-wise and are getting the flavor of the month to temporarily get juice.

The second possibility is that they aren't keeping their ears listening in the right places for new materials.

The third is that they're playing trip-hop.

Take a listen to the short bust Claypool takes on "Lacquer Head." If that bores you, you may be pursuing the wrong instrument for you.

20. john turner

john turner You don't want to do that. Trust me. Staff Member Administrator

Mar 14, 2000
    atlanta ga
    school days - stanley clarke - not as hard as it sounds, but very cool.