1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bored with my Big Muff

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by insomniac2295, Mar 13, 2013.

1. So, my very first dirt pedal was a General Guitar Gadgets Big Muff. I still have it and I use it quite a bit. However, I don't think it really quite gets into fuzz territory. Just really heavy distortion. Right now, I have 2 distortion pedals on my board and everything just kind of blends together.

Personally, I feel like my big muff is just too "blah" for my tastes. The distortion across it is really even and lackluster. Ideally, I'd like to have something that's fairly versatile and that can go from somewhat more "traditional" fuzz tones to some really weird "hey I think that thing is broken" fuzz tones. Any thoughts?
    I've tried a wooly mammoth and a fuzz factory. Both sounded fairly blah to me.

2. rratajski

rratajski Commercial User

Jul 1, 2008
    Mount Laurel, NJ
    Builder for FUZZROCIOUS PEDALS
    Change the last stage of diodes to germanium (do a 3 way center off toggle). Add a gate (won't work with the germ diodes though).
    So many mods for muffs to make them not sound like typical muffs.

3. Jordan S.

Jordan S.

Mar 25, 2012
    NSW, Australia
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
    A fuzz factory sounded "blah"? I don't think there are many dirt pedals out there that are more entertaining than a fuzz factory... :p

EDIT: I know where you're coming from though. Try blending it in parallel with some different dirt pedals. Thats how I use mine, I found it produced some nice results.

4. slobake

slobake resident ... something

I'm always willing to take a hit for my talkbass brothers. If you want you can send it to me. :bag: :p

5. Swift713

Swift713

Dec 4, 2006
    Florence, Ma
    I had a muff with the tone circuit bypass-it had a lot more life in it.

6. When I got bored of my big muff, I started getting into stacking different overdrives and distortions for my more heavy/disgusting sounds.

7. I suppose I'll have to youtube it up to check some of these mods. I actually hadn't thought of doing mods because I didn't think it would end up altering the sound that much. Won't know until you find out, I suppose!

Yeah, yeah, the fuzz factory has some gate-y sounds and some squealy sounds, but I'm after just a really offensive sounding fuzz... or something
    What other kinds of dirts are you using?

Yeah, I've stacked my stuff, but since they're all so similar sounding, it essentially sounds like adding more gain, which isn't what I'm after.

8. May be looking at building a Mid-Fi Clari(not)

9. odineye

odineye

Dec 29, 2011
    Bear DE
    The Fuzz Factory not offensive??? Funny, mine seems to find some new way to offend me every time I turn it on... :D It does take a good bit of tweaking to realy get a usable sound though. And, like Ibanezsr500, a lot of times I'll run it parallel with another, dirt pedal.

The clari (not), with that it's pitch shifting warbling delay, can definitely sound broken if you want, and I have a lot of fun with mine. But, the fuzz part of the circuit doesn't have anything in the way of control except volume.

Now, the Fuzz Factory through the Clari(not)??? :eek: If that doesn't offend you, well... Man, you're just plain dead inside.

10. Jordan S.

Jordan S.

Mar 25, 2012
    NSW, Australia
    Blacksheep Effects Pedals
    CM-2, Woolly Mammoth, Fuzz Factory and Animato. Mainly the CM-2 (till I sold it) and the Animato though.

Try using a distortion (not another fuzz) that has a completely different character to the muff, something bright, with a mid boost. That should make the sound fuller, with the distortion filling in the mid scoop of the muff, but still not overdoing it with the gain.

11. Maybe I am just dead inside... The internet has ruined me...

12. fisticuffs

fisticuffs

May 3, 2011
    Madison, WI
    Sometimes a smaller, younger muff is a nice change of pace. Have you and your big muff tried role playing?

13. Bur

Bur

Nov 16, 2012
    Moscow, Russia
  14. CargoCulte

CargoCulte

Jan 10, 2012
    I recently broke up my Big Muff boredom by adding a IE Oxide pedal to the mix. I'm really digging it's gated fuzz.

15. winterburn69

winterburn69

Jan 27, 2008
    Saskatchewan
    When I get bored with a pedal, I put it my box of extra pedals, replace it with something else. Last week I took my Bass Big Muff out after about 10 months. Take it out after a few months, and it's like a brand new pedal.

16. GuzBaas

GuzBaas

Oct 10, 2008
    London
    +1

tweak those knobs a little!!
    and use a clean blend for the low end lost

If the Fuzz Factory is boring you, there's no solution to your problem!

:bag:

uhmmm have you tried malekko Bassmaster? I prefer the Germanium edition...

17. Have you ever tried a Gnomeratron? I can do Muff and Brassmasterish sounds as well as "this thing sounds broken sounds". Might be worth checking out.

18. MSUsousaphone

MSUsousaphone

Dec 4, 2009
    Lake Charles, La
    Endorsed Artist: Myco Pedals
    I would suggest you skipping all these sissy fuzzes and going straight to the Mountainking Megalith.....but your head may explode like in scanners. I would hate to be responsible for that.