Bored with new band

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by fadlan bassman, Sep 9, 2002.

1. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    I am in this band and have played/jammed out with them since June. Now all I had to do was learn the songs (6 originals) and i assumed we would get going playing out or something. I figured we would just fill up the song list with covers. But the original guitar player rejoined the group so now there are 2 guitar players, I think he wants to drop all but like 2 of the old songs and write new ones. I have no problem with this except that all the songs seem to be made up of power chord stemming from F or C or C#. Some of these songs are pretty fast so i have to play with the rhythm or lead, not much room to improvise, i keep wanting to add some funk or slap to the groove just to change the sound a little but i pretty much get blown off. I really like playing with these guys because the originals sound good and are FINISHED. But now here it has been 3 months and we are pretty much exactly where i was when i played with my old band which was nowhere. I just am getting frustrated because the new guitarist is so much into power chords and heavy- heavy music. I have almost zero room for melodies or just some alternate lines, in fact i just about get drowned out by the dueling guitarists. One other thing is that the new guy is not into majority rules he thinks that some should not have to do what they don't want. what can I do to get my opinion heard, I am playing with these guys for the experince and because the drummer and I have been in another band together, he is really good. I like everyone in the band, just getting bored with the lack of progress and comitment to play in front of people.
  2. Boplicity

Boplicity Supporting Member

Stay for the experience, but at the same time start looking around for another opportunity in a band that will afford you the chance to play basslines that are more personally rewarding to you.

By the way, what you are experiencing is not at all unusual. You join a band. Things are going pretty good, then someone quits or someone new enters the group and the entire chemistry changes (often for the worse.) Along with the chemistry, the objectives, the music, the progress, the power structure...all change right along with the personnel changes.

That is one of the challenges anyone faces in a band. I hope things will turn out better for you in time.
  3. Bob Clayton

Bob Clayton Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 14, 2001
    Deptford, NJ
    i didn't have to do that with my band...i just told that that if we didn't do some songs that had really cool basslines....i was out...and since i am the main(singer/song writer) they sed a month later they are so happy with what i've done....

so basically just show them what u can do....maybe things will start going ur way

4. Nick man

Nick man

Apr 7, 2002
    Tampa Bay
    If the majority rules to not tell him about the next practice, guess who doesnt show up.

If the majority likes him not being at the next practice, then guess who the majority decides not to tell about the next one.

If the majority is cool with the band without him, then guess who isnt in the band.

5. Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    I've given up on bands and they've given up on me.

The merc life is the way to go.
  6. Qishi45

Aug 29, 2002
    Keep playing with them and start jamming with other guys or writing songs on your own (can a bassplayer do that!?!) and present them to the band. if theyre good rhythmically the drummer will be on board. hopefully the other guys will catch on and you can come up with a sound that suits ALL of the band members.
    as ive always said, its nice to have a band full of tools because they wont argue with you. :p
  7. Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    Of course the bassist can bring in songs he's written. With my last group Iwas the lead vocalist and lyricist as well as bassist.

Come up with an idea for a song, approach just one other band member before you start the regular practice and work out the groove before the guitars-o-plenty kick in.

Several of our songs only worked because I would get the concept down ahead of time with just bass and keys or just bass and guitar. With all four of us playing together trying to build a groove around lyrics could get pretty masturbatory. That's when you are playing but not accomplishing anything.
  8. CS

Dec 11, 1999
  9. Qishi45

Aug 29, 2002
    yeah, i was the primary song writer in my last band. its just that ive been in a couple of other bands who refused to allow me to write songs. they said the bass was a 'backup instrument' and not meant to be the point of inspiration. so i guess i need to layer the sarcasm on a bit thicker next time :p
  10. man i have been in alot of bands, and before, i got in the band that im in now, i had to make mad compentation for lack of.....liking the music. usually i would keep in the band just to have someone to jam with, do some shows, one band, two bands, hip-hop, metal, rock, keep buliding my own style, even when really, i didnt like what was going on musically. i never really quit unless i was just not feeling the music, i would have to feel that it was, pretty lame, at the risk of sounding like a ****. but sometimes even then i would play just to see what i could do with it, just to see if i could find some kind of insperation from my self while playing music. i also have this really bad habit of doing what ever i think fits...i dont like solo over ppl er any crap like that, just, if i thought it needed some flavor i would add some pop, chords, slap, fills and so on. after so many bands you find one that you can connect with, you find what your looking for in the least likely of places...i thought i was in some music meca cause i lived in houston, then i moved to the valley. and i was just like "damn, good luck finding something here" but i would rush ppl in public if i found anything from like a band shirt to a sticker, i didnt care. "say man you know anyone that needs a bass player!" i was really hungry to start some project er something. i found a band a we did slipknot covers, heheh it was fun, did the masks and the whole nine, but when it came to writing the music, i couldnt do anything with it. joined the band im with now FED OF ME. the guitarist played something for me and it was like nothing i had ever heard before, it defenitly peaked my interest. from there i found that i could really play like i wanted to and it came naturally it fit and it nursed my style. got into some new artist from the other members, and from there i have really just grown with everyone else and it feels like a "real" band. with all the work and fun that im having and most of all the music is good, finally found a band that is an outlet as well as music that i like and i have never felt stronger or deeper about what im doing before. you know what im saying. sorry for the life story, the subject is close to the heart....good topic :D
  11. Secksay

Secksay Guest

Sep 6, 2002
    New York, NY
    Too many people join bands expecting things to go well right away. Every successful band is made up of musicians who have been in several bands before. It's just how it works, you have to keep playing until you find the right people for you.
  12. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Thanks for all the responses, i have become inspired again. Seems that everyone in the band was feeling kinda glum, but we all talked about it and everyone's back on the same page. these guys don't really ask what i play so it is more or less open to me to be creative. I should probably get with the drummer and write some material(he's a good songwriter) and show it to the other guys.
  13. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Wrong I was:The band is offically DEAD, the Singer is moving to Florida to become a fireman and the 2 guitarist can't agree on material. So the drummer and I are SOL. That what i get for playing with 19 year olds.