Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boredom+ pickups laying around

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by fishy, Apr 12, 2004.

1. fishy

fishy Guest

Dec 13, 2002
    courtice, Ontario
    I got bored last night and noticed i had a few humbucking 4 string pickups not going to use so I decided to put them to use on my 5 string. I finally decided to mount them right by the bridge, above the strings rather than under like most pickups. I fabricated a mounting plate deally out of metal and mounted the 2 humbuckers in it so they sprawled out over all 5 strings (like a p pickup). It sounds pretty growly (which my bass was lacking) and the output is pretty hot, but im wondering how i could incorporate it into the current output, rather than an extra output.
    Sorry about the long post, but I think this idea is pretty cool :hyper:
    I will try and get pics up if they are wanted

2. fishy

fishy Guest

Dec 13, 2002
    courtice, Ontario
    alright, I took some pics... Its pretty ugly, but it sounds great. It sounds alot like les claypools 4 string (like on too many puppies). It is only two sided taped on right now, and im looking for a stronger non permanant way to mount it.
    Oh, and sorry about the bad pics, my friend has my digi cam, and i had to use a webcam.

3. that would be really cool if you set it up to plug into your bass somehow with a 1/4 inch jack

4. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    Damn, and I thought I was crazy. You got one on me bud. I'd never have thought to invert pups above the strings and I can't recall ever seeing it done before (although it's bound to have happened - perhaps where the term stacked humbucking came from - heh, heh, heh) What kind of pups are those anyway? Yeh, I'd guess you should get some growl out of a pair of staggered humbuckers at the bridge. No suprise that they're on the hot side either. Every switch, pot, and jack you run a pup through degrades the signal so you're getting pure beef there. You want to triple that output, stick them at the neck position. Yeh, you could splice them into your rig alright but there's a high probability it will alter the sound in the process. One thing you could do is wire them to another output jack run out a pothole and you'd have true stereo.

Hell, as crazy as you are, I'm sure you could come up with something better than I could (no need to ask where the fishy came from).

5. fishy

fishy Guest

Dec 13, 2002
    courtice, Ontario
    luknfur, The pickups are just the stock pickups that came in my epiphone les paul 4 string.
    I added controls (tone+volume) and an output , and managed to squeeze them all in one of the pickup covers
    Oh, and i'm suprised that noone ever really thought of it before, cause its a great way to get new pickup configurations in your bass without any routing.

6. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    That is interesting. What kind of metal are you using there, aluminum? You make that switch box? Looks like some decent fabrication. You know I think some steel guitars may have a top mounted pup. You'd think that goofy looking ashtray thing of Fenders would have had something like this in it.

7. fishy

fishy Guest

Dec 13, 2002
    courtice, Ontario
    Yes the metal is aluminum just bent into shape, and the control box is one of the pickup covers that i had to take off, and I just drilled holes in it.

8. luknfur

luknfur

Jan 14, 2004
    DIXIE
    I thought that switch box looked pretty pro. Actually the aluminum job looks pretty decent as well.

After reading your thread I started thinking maybe I've had too narrow a focus and I was looking at my J bass and thought, I wonder what it would sound like if a J pup was mounted in line with the strings. You know, like 4 J pups in a row (I play 4s). I'm going to do one string for kicks and grins and see what happens.

9. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    I've contemplated that a few times so I could get some expensive pickups on more than one bass. Maybe use an old Precision pickup cover and mounting them but maybe that would interfere with the tone and I'm rambling again but sweet job :)