Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Borknagar - Empiricism

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by thrash_jazz, May 21, 2002.

1. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Anyone heard this one yet? I think it's one of their best, very experimental, kinda leaning in a faster-Opeth kinda direction.

And their new bass player Tyr is pretty darn good, if you ask me!

2. *ToNeS*

*ToNeS*

Jan 12, 2001
    Sydney AU
    can you say "Norwegian black metal reborn as neo-goths"? :)

not a bad album at all, vast improvement on their older material IMO. the addition of Vintersorg on vocals was a stroke of genius, and adds a whole 'nother dimension to the mix. i don't see many of the diehard fans digging some of it, though :(

3. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'm dying over the song "The Genuine Pulse." If the rest of the album is like that, I might have to go out and get it.

Man those guys are cool!

4. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    "The Genuine Pulse" is pretty unique... I wouldn't say the rest of the album is like it, although there are some parts of songs that sound kind of like that. It's definitely tasty as far as technical ability goes!

If you like "The Genuine Pulse", check out "Ruins of Future" and "Invincible" (if you hadn't already!) on their previous album, Quintessence.

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    You check Lamb of God? Pretty good band, that no one really seems to have heard of. Go figure...

6. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    I have heard some Lamb of God and also saw them live a couple of years ago. I agree that these guys do not get enough press, while being a lot more talented than the so-called "mainstream" hardcore bands.

Honestly, I've been thinking that it's ALL in which label you're signed to... Let's face facts, no band on Nuclear Blast, Century Media, Metal Blade, Relapse etc. is going to be known to the general public, unless they do something wild and crazy to get their attention (a la Cannibal Corpse)... :(

BTW - if you wanna hear some stuff that'll give you a headache - listen to Theory In Practice. ***?!

7. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Lamb of God are amazing!
    I got the Borknagar cd! Good call! Thanks guys.

8. Tiwaz

Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Norway
    Thanks for the kind words guys , always nice to hear people appreaciate what you do :)
    I have , for those whom might be interested , uploaded a couple of bass-tabs on our site www.borknagar.com

9. odie

odie Supporting Member

Wow very cool!! Is this Tyr??

Just picked up Empiricism 3 days ago after hearing about Borknagar here.

10. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Howdy! Very cool of you to drop in. Big fan of your guys' stuff. Liberated and Inherit the Earth are second favorites next to Genuine Pulse. Empiricism still blows me away. For me it was one of the best black metal CDs out in 2001.

What gear do you use in the studio, and live?

I also just read your profile on borknagar.com...wow, you've been pretty busy, and lucky, getting to work with Satyricon and Emporer, as well as doing Borknagar! I'm insanely jealous.

11. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    borknagar...._awesome_ band. i kinda get the same vibe from dimmu borgir and a host of others. i've always tried to keep up and understand the norwegian black metal scene, because i always keep going back to the music...it always gives me a headache trying to figure out who's playing in what band from year to year. it's like a big family over there, of sorts...like there's this big mass of musicians and they all get together and play for an album or two, then it's a big shuffle and 10 more bands....or at least move the guys around between bands that already exist. ulver, arcturus, satyricon, borknagar, dimmu borgir, emperor...all yummy stuff. i got one of those century media compilation albums several years back, and it had an arcturus tune on it...i finally found the album, and i've just always dug that stuff. i've always like cradle of filth, too (yeah, i know...they don't count :rolleyes: ), so in keeping up with nick barker, i had to get into dimmu borgir, as well. now, i've got more black metal than any one human with a top secret security clearance should have :D

holy doodle....tyr! welcome aboard, man! i dig you guys' stuff a lot, man...keep it up. maybe you can shed some light on the norwegian black metal musician sharing thing. is there a black metal union over there? ;) i'm just messin' with ya. welcome to talkbass, man

12. jaybo

jaybo Guest

Sep 5, 2001
    Richmond, KY
    Although you can't really call them black metal anymore I think Borknagar is one of the best 'extreme' metal bands going today after getting empiricism. I didn't notice anyone mentioning it but to me the drumming on empiricism is some of the best metal drumming I have heard in years. It's so fluid it's hard to believe the guy's in a metal band haha. And yes the bass is very impressive, hopefully more guys will begin to 'step out' a little and show that there is a bass player behind the wall of mad guitars and keyboards. I would highly reccommend Vintersorg's newest solo release to people that like empiricism, they're actually quite similar but different at the same time. I'd be interested to know how much input Vintersorg has on the music of Borknagar and if he writes any of the riffs because he's an excellent guitarist/bassist/keyboardist. If I'm not mistaken Borknagar's drummer played on Vintersorg's album as well, or atleast it sounds very much like him.

13. odie

odie Supporting Member

Im going to say something that might send the flames shooting at me. For some reason I think all the keyboards actually take away from the focus of the bass playing.

Not sure if its the frequency or what but I wish they were put into the background.

Ok let the flaming begin!!

14. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    Yes, I believe he did.

15. Tiwaz

Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Norway
    @Brendan:
    Live I use my two Neuser Courage 6 string basses , and I usually rent the bass-rig which 99% of the time is the Ampeg svt 3 pro through two 4x10" cabs. I also use Sennheiser ew100 wireless system.

When I recorded the basslines for "Empiricism" , I used one of the basses I mentioned above , and Ibanez GW-1 fretless (which Lars K Norberg lent me).
    A Focusrite mic-preamp (Focusrite Green I think)
    TL-Audio FatMan Compressor
    Fatman Tube DI
    MonsterCables

-----
    @neptoon:

Well , Norway is a small country with only about 4.5 million people , so there's a limited supply of metal musicians here....
    And basically everyone knows each other or knows someone who knows someone... :p

---------
    @jaybo:

Yeah , Asgeir Mickelson is a great drummer , have you checked out his other band , Spiral Architect?

The new album from Vintersorg , "Visions From The Spiral Generator" is very good , I like it alot , Asgeir and Steve DiGiorgio did some amazing stuff on that one :)
    I play live for Vintersorg nowadays.
    Everyone in Borknagar writes their part after we've received the preproduction tape from Øystein (guitarist and main composer) , which he makes at home with his computer , so I write all the bass parts , Vintersorg does the vocal parts etc
    Lyrics are written by all.
    So we have sort of equal levels of input.

--------
    @odie:
    Well , I also think some of the keyboard parts are abit too loud , but for the most part the basslines are quite audible , at least for music as extreme as Borknagar.

16. Hugh Jazz

Hugh Jazz

Sep 13, 2001
    Atlanta, GA
    You guys (Vintersorg & Borknagar) rock. Keep up the good stuff.

:)

Edit: Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't you play (or tour?) with Emperor before they disbanded? And wasn't there something with Satyricon as well?

17. Tiwaz

Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Norway
    Yeah , I was session bassist for Emperor from December '98 to November '99 and in Satyricon from August '99 to July 2000. I joined Borknagar in August 2000.

18. neptoon

neptoon

Jul 25, 2000
    summerville, sc
    hey, right on man ;) hey, tell me...is satyr really as pissed off as he looks in all the pictures he's in. he looks as if he's sitting on one of those axes he always seems to be holding :D i have nemesis divina spinning right now here in the office, and i thought this was the perfect oppurtunity to ask. i just picked up empiricism over the weekend...sweet playing, man...i liked it a lot better than the previous album.

19. Tiwaz

Tiwaz

Sep 22, 2002
    Norway
    Hehe , yeah he's one pissed off individual :p , but usually he keeps a lid on his misanthrophy...

20. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Greetings Tiwaz!!!

Just want to say again (much as everyone else has) that that was some great work on Empiricism!

I will definitely have to check out some of your other work! :)

Best of luck to you!