Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Born To Be Wild

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by kenny_geeze, Feb 6, 2001.

1. kenny_geeze

kenny_geeze

Feb 6, 2001
    This isn't exactly a gig, but it's still a silly playing story.
    In my english class we're always asked to do these elaborate drama presentations to do projects. One time we had to present a poem to the class and act it out basically. I jokingly offered to do instrumental accompannyment, but my group accepted.
    I wanted to play a cool bass line, but my group wanted me to bring in my guitar and play really grungy distortion. "Fine," I said. "What song do you want me to play?" They immediately wanted me to play "Eye Of The Tiger". I went out and learned it. On the day of the presentation, the group decided that the song "Born To Be Wild" would fit much better with the motorcycle in the poem. I didn't even know the song and I wondered how long it had been since I even heard a steppenwolf song. So I agreed and tried to figure it out from memory. I didn't have much success. And by the time of the presentation, I was just strumming back and forth on an E major chord with the volume on the amp cranked. An amp so small, I could have hung it from my belt. Anything below the G - string buzzed through the amp and rattled the desk it was sitting on. Suffice to say, it sounded terrible and the whole thing got video-taped.
    The funny thing was though, I got an offer to be in a band a week later.

2. there are tab sites on the net dude