Borrowing a bass from a buddy

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Zachiguess, Jul 14, 2021.

1. Zachiguess

Zachiguess Supporting Member

Oct 17, 2016
    Pennsylvania
    Yesterday my buddy let me borrow this absolute hammer of a bass. I have next to no experience with Spectors but it’s pretty rad so far!

Neck thru, EMG PJ pickups and a tone pump preamp. Aside from that I don’t know anything about it.

Thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. fu22ba55

fu22ba55 Gold Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2009
    The one spector I owned (Euro LX) had the most on-the-nose P-Bass sound I've ever heard. Great basses.

3. Blackjac97

Blackjac97

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    Beautiful bass!! Never played a spector but always wanted to.

I do own another bass though, with an NS-2 style bridge with fully floating saddles, and IMO it is a difficult bridge to live with. Not prohibitively so, but definitely more of a PITA then it needs to be. If I owned a spector, I would swap the bridge for one with intonation screws.

4. Blackjac97

Blackjac97

May 27, 2012
    Maine
    Yes!! My bass is a Kramer Forum III and I feel the same way about it!

5. JW56789

JW56789 Guest

Feb 18, 2017
    A modern classic, designed by Ned Steinberger. All maple, typically, and with no hard corners or edges and that curved body, are very comfortable, provided the particular example is not too heavy from all that maple.

Quiet with those EMG's and typically a fairly bright native tone, you see more than a few heavy rock or metal bassists using them with bright stainless roundwounds, and they'll cut through most any mix.

YOU got lucky !

6. David76112

David76112

Feb 19, 2012
    America
    I would own one. The reverse order P pickups has always appealed to me since an Ibanez i owned in the mid 90's. If I found a super deal on one of the lesser inexpensive models, I might jump on it depending on finances.

7. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    you’re gonna be bummed when you find out what those cost. They’re really nice.

8. ThudThudThud

ThudThudThud

Jun 4, 2010
    Always good to get hands-on experience with different types of bass. It's hard to know what you like unless you try as many as you can. Amazing how many people don't try new things.

9. 2tonic

2tonic

Dec 22, 2015
    How do I get into your "friend zone"? :)

10. newwavefrank

newwavefrank Gold Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Salt lake City, UT
    Looks almost exactly like mine. Hard to tell exactly without seeing it closer. I have one of the early Czech models. I also owned a couple of the later models that had the tone pump pre amp and did not like it nearly as much. That being said they are great bases overall

11. scuzzy

scuzzy

Feb 15, 2006
    Troy, MO
    Czech made Spector. Own one, love it. Incredible basses.

HolmeBass likes this.
  12. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Yamaha, Ampeg, Line 6, EMG
    When it comes to active neck-thrus and the like, hard to top Spector for a good solid and reliable product.

13. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player

Jun 12, 2008
    Very, very nice bass. That's a real buddy. Take good care of their bass.
    1. Prevent belt rash: If you're wearing a belt, or jeans with rivets, make sure you have a long T-shirt or a shirt tail between the bass and your pants.
    2. Protect the jack: Always loop your cable through your strap so that a pull on the cable doesn't put stress on the jack.
    3. Protect the finish: Don't play wildly with a pick, and wipe the sweat (and beer and anything else) off whenever you put it away.
    4. Protect the instrument: Don't leave it leaning against things, or even sitting out on a stand for days at a time. If you ain't usin' it, it oughta be in its case.

Rezdog, GTHintz, mikewalker and 8 others like this.
  14. FatherTrucker

FatherTrucker

Jun 9, 2017
    WI
    Only reason I don't own a Spector myself is the narrow string spacing.

15. M0ses

M0ses

Sep 11, 2009
    Los Angeles
    Love that color! Enjoy playing it while you got it!

16. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Very cool. When your friend calls just say “what Bass”?

mikewalker, HolmeBass, JRA and 3 others like this.
  17. Ellery

Ellery

Mar 25, 2015
    Thoughts? Now you have to get one!

18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

May 24, 2006
    home
    Can’t go wrong with a Spector IMO. I have their Euro ReBop. It’s all the 5-string I’ve ever wanted, and likely the only one I’ll ever need. Highly recommended. :)

Spidey2112 likes this.
  19. Real Soon

Real Soon

Aug 15, 2013
    Atlanta, GA
    Thoughts: treat it like he loaned you his Lotus sportscar

Also, enjoy lol

Sid Fang, mikewalker and StevieMac like this.
  20. BlueTalon

BlueTalon Happy Cynic Supporting Member

Mar 20, 2011
    Inland Northwest
    Endorsing Artist: Turnstyle Switch
    Your friend likes you and trusts you. A lot.

Sid Fang, StevieMac, JettBlaq and 2 others like this.