Borrowing an upright for a four-hour gig 6/21 in Denver

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Richard Simon, Jun 16, 2022.

1. Richard Simon

Richard Simon Supporting Member

Dec 6, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Bass Brethren/Sistern:

Am flying into Denver on 6/21 for a four/hour gig, and casting about for an upright to borrow.

I do have a Carruthers EUB, easy to transport but with sustain that’s hard to tame, especially in this band’s trad jazz context.

I have emailed Ross and await a reply.

Oh / the gig is at the Denver Art Museum, and the bass would need to be delivered there by 2:00pm. I would need a pickup on the bass, and the picking-up of the bass by you, the owner, at the gig’s 6:00pm conclusion.

pretty unlikely I’d loan out my own bass under these circumstances, but if you have one you’d be willing to entrust to an old yet careful player, please let me know.

thank you

2. dhergert

dhergert Gold Supporting Member

Jan 17, 2018
    Blue Zone, California
    Might put out feelers at the local colleges, their music directors, etc.

I've seen this managed well at that level in the past.

Might also pick up a no-mod-required pickup or mic to bring with you just in case.

Good luck and break a leg!

3. HateyMcAmp

HateyMcAmp Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2006
    Krivo Pickups
    Sent you a PM.

4. Richard Simon

Dec 6, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA

5. Richard Simon

Dec 6, 2003
    Los Angeles, CA
    Folks,

A loud shout-out to "Hatey McAmp": He is probably with his band in Paris by now.
    But before he left, he went to great lengths (41.5" or thereabouts) to let me use his very nice Shen hybrid for my brief gig in Denver yesterday.
    This cat, never having met me, also entrusted to me his house key (tucked away in a lock box) so that I could access the bass.
    In these days of rampant distrust, there appeareth hope - in the form of, naturally, a Bass Player with a big heart.
    Thank you, sir.
    And thanks, TB, for providing a forum where, in a paraphrase of the immortal words of the Dodgers' Vin Scully:
    "In a year that was so Improbable, the Impossible has happened."

sean_on_bass, AGCurry, Joshua and 6 others like this.