1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Bose L1 Model I system

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Basehead, Sep 22, 2008.

1. Basehead

Basehead Now with even more synthy goodness...

Jan 3, 2008
    New York NY
    Hi all,

Two weeks ago I had the opportunity to play out of a Bose L1 sytems with two bass modules.
    I was playing with a cover band that does everything from rock to funk to jazz and R&B mixed in with some original music. Normally, I bring down a Mesa Boogie M-2000 Basis head and an Eden 410 XLT, which is way more than the room requires, but I like to be able to turn it up as the evening progresses.
    The drummer of this outfit had his brother come down to check us out and he brought with him the L1 system. We placed the radiator speaker in the middle of our setup and sent the vocals and bass through the system. The room is small enough that the drums did not have to be amplified.
    At first, I really didn't want to plug directly into the system. I am very satisfied with my rig, and I'm not really a "Bose" guy, as I feel most of there products are marketed towards people who have little to no concept of what constitutes good sound. Reluctant as I was, I figured "If it doesn't sound good, I can always set up my rig in a few minutes".

So, I plug in my trusty Fodera Emperor 5 (all onboard EQ was set flat) and hope for the best.....

THIS THING KILLED!!

At first, we actually had to turn down the bass on my channel, as it was too boomy and feeding back slightly (bass feedback, not that tinny high end feedback). Once we tamed the lows, I couldn't believe the sound I got. I got everything, EVERYTHING that bass has to offer, from the deepest lows, the punchy mids and the crisp highs. The bass sound was so "present" - upfront, authoritative and it filled the room. When I muted the strings, you felt it. When I popped on the G string, you heard it. Using the onboard EQ, I got every sound I wanted - dull, deep thud to High Fi perfection.
    I was so impressed by the sound, I am considering purchasing a system for myself, and not as a PA, but as a bass amp!

No, I do not work for Bose nor am I associated to them in any way. I've NEVER recommeded a Bose product to anyone, and I've owned Bose HT cubes at one time (THAT is a whole different thing, as they suck). I've never been impressed by any of their products, save for their noise cancelling headphones and this L1 system.

Anyone else get a chance to demo one of these?

2. gil_mor

gil_mor

Apr 24, 2006
    Sedona, Az
    I used to play a lot on the new one.
    It also kills!

I used to bring my Shuttle 6.0 and use it as a pre-amp. Sweet Sweet punchy tube sounding.

The Bose system sounds great, I think its a little low-mid shy comparing to bass cabs, but maybe thats because bass cabs have that low-mid bump:)