Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Bose L1

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Venious, Jan 13, 2005.

1. Venious

Venious Guest

Sep 1, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Hello,

Has anyone experimented with using the Bose L1 system? It is very interesting in theory, but I don't know any bass players who have tried it.

More info here.

2. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Yes - my band uses three systems exclusively and have for 11 months. Within ten minutes of trying them in a rehearsal - we decided to sell our Mackie PA and we haven't had a "regular" amp or PA at a gig or rehearsal since. Audience response as been incredibly positive - most stating how clean the sound is and how clear the vocals are.

3. There were a couple of other Bose L1 threads on here in the past 6 months or so - you might find something by using the "Search" function. Good luck -

- Wil

4. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    What style(s) are you guys playing?

5. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    We play electric/acoustic/rock/adult contemporary/alternative stuff :D

Mostly originals - some covers. Covers range from old Beatles and Marvin Gaye to Guster, John Mayer, Robben Ford, Los Lobos, Los Loney Boys etc.

Instrumentation: Bass, Drums, 2 guitars (electric or acoustic depending on the song) plus up to 4 vocals. One guitar player will also play mandolin, violin, dobro and baritone guitar.

6. jvtwin

jvtwin What it needs is a little more cowbell

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    So Eggman, I just got turned onto this Bose System a little late so let me get this straight... Your using this system for your bass as well? If this is correct two questions: (If this isn't the case, I'll go back to sleep now)

1) How well does your bass sound through and is it loud enough?

2) Can you play your bass and sing through it at the same time without one washing out the other?

7. why is it i just cant trust bose?

8. Happy MurphDay

Happy MurphDay

Mar 9, 2004
    around
    because it looks like a coat rack?

9. now your getting the idea. and a coat rack has HOW much bass response??

10. I am sure it does have good sound quality, but playing out of an overpriced mexican built bandpass sub with a couple of 6.5" radiators and the tower is only going to work if everyone else in the band is playing through them. And even then, I wonder about volume. But that said, bose stuff seems always sound good.

Edit: I sencond thought, I would love to try these, since sound quality is more important than early hearing loss.

11. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    1 - The bass sounds great - with enough low end. Very loud - the B string shakes the bones.

2. System is designed to put vocals and instruments through the same system. No wash out.

3. I know some bass players who use this system in bands where no one else has one - they blend in fine and everyone digs the sound.

Guys/Gals - I don't know how Bose does it - but this "coat rack" works. The clarity is incredible - both to us while we are playing and to the audience as evidenced by them telling us how good we sound. We are going to play an outdoor party for 3000 people next month with only our three Bose PAS without any additional amps/speakers/PAs - and because of our past expereice with these things we are confident we will be heard and enjoyed by all.

By the way - this party is for the LPGA US Women's Open Golf Tournament at Cherry Hills CC in Denver. Its a party for the tournament volunteers. If you are in town and know a volunteer - get them to bring you as a guest!

12. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    Eggman -

Thanks for the update. I had the chance to check the PAS system last night at the local Grrrrtar Center and was quite impressed. I play a tube amp now so to me, it was a bit sterile but punchy as hell and with the dual sub boxes there was plenty of low end and coolest part, it only weighed 1/3 (if that) of what I have now. And just with what I was doing at the store it seemed it would be plenty loud for most any gig. Of course I would love to try it in a gig situation for the real test but it's got my attention now. I guess like many others, I'm was a bit skeptic on how a "coat rack" can compare to a more traditional amp and cab set up but you gotta admit, this is pretty cool. And it only takes up as much room as a bass case. I'm thinking of the 45 day trial thing and go from there. I'll keep ya posted.

13. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Yep - the 45 day trial is the way to go. GC let us have it a bit over 45 days as we wanted to play a local (loud) rock club with them. Didn't use the FOH system and still rocked the place. Needless to say GC did not get them back. Check out the Bose site for their forum. Great info and feedback there. I think the PAS is best when all in the band use it. The sound and the way it mixes in your ears from all the players is killer.

BTW - Paul Shaffer is using one on the Letterman show - mostly as a monitor.

14. jvtwin

Jan 26, 2001
    LA Calif.
    I've been checking it out(Bose forum) Like I said before, this is some pretty cool stuff! I do love my Aggie gear but I'm getting to be a old man and ease of transportation is almost as big an issue as quality of sound. I don't see a roadie in my near future so this might be the way to go.

15. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
    "The world is flat!"

16. i didn't think a coat rack could produce lo frequencies. after all, if you've heard one hit the floor, it makes a particularly high pitched THWACK!! i think that would be more suited to guitar

17. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    wait, maybe an ironing board design might work.....

18. Ben Clarke

Ben Clarke Liquidating to fund a new business. Buy My Gear!

Jan 6, 2005
    Western NY
    Better Sound Through Propaganda and Deceptive MarketingTM

I guess this product could sound good. Sounds like the one guy here who's actually used it really likes it. They've made one decent product, so maybe this is their second!

19. Eggman

Eggman

Dec 3, 2004
    Denver, Colorado
    Yes Ben - the whole band likes them. True they may not be for everyone - but I wish people would give them a full test-run before knocking the concept. They really work and sound great - even the low frequencies. May not be as thunderous as some of the monster rigs owned by some TBers here - but in the whole band setting it works.

Why is it that so many people dislike Bose? In my dealings with them they hav been great, timely and professional. They have gone so far as to replace a full set of deluxe cases when I told them that a minor strap on one piece came out of its seam. Had the new set the next day - didn't have to return the rest and didn't have to pay a cent. I haven't had treatment like that from any vendor (I have had good service from Dan Lakin and Sheldon Dingwall too - to be fair).

To each their own I suppose.

20. so now you have two of their speaker sets or one?