1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Bose pas lives up to the hype.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by ric1312, Apr 17, 2006.

1. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    I've been using a bose pas 2bass module package for my bass rig, vocals, and for my guitar player. It lives up to all the hype.

I wanted to see what people on this forum think about it. With respect I'd like to say that a lot of the nay sayers here either didn't try it, or had the wrong package, or didn't take the time to learn how to set it up right.

Before I get more into it I'd like to make some comments and usual things I've run across here.

1. "no highs, no lows, must be bose." You must be on crack. I have my bongo straight in and it thumps with the best of them. The high are beautiful

2. "not loud enough," or "really for acoustic," these things are more than loud enough, in fact they will make your ears ring. Mine is set up next to an acoustic drum set with oversized shells. I can hear everything perfect with plenty of head room. the main volume is just barely past noon.
    I was told to turn it down by the other two players in my rock/metal band.

3. "you could build one for cheaper," "overpriced...." Sure some guys could, most of us can't. Part of it too is not just the speaker but the electronics and the presets and the fact that it has 4 channels. And is very well built. As far as being too expensive, go buy a good bass rig and a pa, and you will be well over the bose price. Cuase this thing is both your rig and a pa if you go straight in. In my case I replaced a bass rig, a guitar rig and a pa. (It sounds better that my guitar players old marshall half ever did, so much for tubes)
    Anyways.....

The sound not degrading as quick (so you don't have to blare and scare your audience away.....ooo but they can blare if that is your thing), the dispersion and the clarity of sound they claim is all true.

A little background on me, I've been playing in bands for 15 years. Rock/metal, not acoustic or country or oldies, not a solo act with loops.

All the problems descibed on the bose site are all the same things I hate about playing out. So, I gave bose a crack. Guess what, lived up to every ounce of hype on the site, sooo I guess it's not hype.

It made me want to play again, because I knew I could play out and bring the bands sound with me.

Sorry but, out of all the naysayers here I think I read two post from guys who actually used it. One guy only tried it for a few minutes in guitar center. pffft.

Vocals = sweet as hell sound like a professionally recorded vocal. Not that muddy crap a usual sound guy gives you because he thinks loads or reverb makes a singer sound good.

Bass = best bass sound I've ever played with, that includes me, and the ten or so bass players that have been in and out of my band over the years. Plenty of low end. but, again what you put in is what you get out, I've got a bongo, if you've got a crap bass...........

Guitar = what you put in is what you get out, were using pedals straight in and it sounds better than the marshall half we were using.

Drums = acoustic N/A .........but I'd like to add the pas had no problems getting over the heavy hitter I have playing behind the acoustic set.

Feedback = if you adjust gain staging properly and use the right mic technique you will have none, I get my vocal mic super loud without cutting out any frequencies. I could never do this on my old pa no matter where the speakers were set.

Mix= awesome you can hear everything no matter where you go. And I can adjust the mix anytime I want. No more giving the soundman handgestures or asking to be turned up only to be ignored.

People with multiple systems having a hard time hearing another player most often have them spread too far apart.

Why am I writing this? Because this is one of the few things I have ever bought that lived up to my expectations. And I would very much like to go out and see local bands play with something like these instead, so I can hear good sound and not the crap blasting out of the usual pa club sytem.

P.S. I would like to add over all the time I've been playing in small to mid sized clubs with huge expensive pa systems, I have NEVER heard a better sound than is what coming out of the pas system I have. Perhaps my viewpoint is a little different though than most bass players. As I happen to also be the singer I stand out front and center and not right in front of my amp, so I hear what the whole mix sounds like, not just the amp sound and the rest of the music in background.

2. BassBuzzRS

BassBuzzRS

Oct 18, 2005
    Norway
    What is this guy talking about?

3. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    Spam?

4. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Interesting post.

I think the real issue has been the steep entry fee (not saying it is inappropriate) and caution with new technology.

Also, it would be nice to see other manufacturers using this approach. "Bose only" is kind of like the Macintosh (which I still prefer).

5. seamonkey

seamonkey

Aug 6, 2004
    Bose line array does sound great.
    But I don't feel the subs match the array well. I bet there's a gap between the frequency response of the HF cut-off of the sub and the LF of the array. Easy enough to fix, - just match another sub. or heavily equalize (Bose is famous for equalizing speakers)

I'd love to see a frequency response chart, SPL charts, polar charts, etc. on the Bose. We won't see it from Bose, but maybe a third party could do it.

Then they could be compared head to head with other systems. That is, those systems that have the same charts on them.

6. emblymouse

emblymouse Supporting Member

Jan 22, 2006
    W'Sconsin
    Lakland Artist Endorser
    Thank you.

7. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    LOL, no not spam I don't work for bose. I'm just an old band guy, wanting to give a product it's due.

I dont' know all about frequency response and all that, but I can say with a 2bass module my bass sounds pretty freakin sweet. Like a CD. And not just sweet right in front of it, but in the whole damn room.

Of course if price isn't an issue and you really need it you can add more of the bose bass modules. Though if you go that route even I agree the price gets out of hand, if you are using it just as a bass amp.

When I'm not practicing and have it inside my wife can hear it out in the culdisac or at the far end of our close to half acre lot, from inside.

8. Rock City

Rock City

Apr 8, 2001
    Boston,Ma
    It just kinda creeps me out when someone with 4 posts has 2 of them promoting something. My apologies if you really like the system and need to vent.
    Corey

9. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    LOL, well I've had the pas for about five months and I'm still stoked about it.

P.S. get ready get more creeped out, cause I'm about to promote my musicman bongo bass guitar.

10. billfitzmaurice

billfitzmaurice Commercial User

Sep 15, 2004
    New Hampshire
    Owner, Bill Fitzmaurice Loudspeaker Design
    +1.

11. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    I've had the chance to use a PAS acouple of times, and I thought it sounded incredible for acoustic guitar, keyboard, vocals, and maybe even electric, but couldn't touch a high-quality bass rig.

12. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PHL
    the day i see nick epifani, dave boonshoft, jim bergantino, andy lewis, and jorg schroeder all roll out w/ their line of "pole cabs", i'll believe it. ;)

but seriously, finding your sound and being inspired by your gear choices is half the fun of playing out. so, congrats! :cool:

13. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    Well I thought this was talk bass.com and not agree with people how have more posts.com

And seriously what's with all this +1 stuff, just to lazy to type "I agree," ?

14. Hyde

Hyde

Mar 30, 2006
    If we're talking about laziness, you might want to consider correcting your spelling of "who", changing that "to lazy" to "too lazy", adding "are you" in front of "just", and getting rid of that comma at the end of your sentence. I'm no grammar nazi, I'm not even close (in fact, there are probably all kinds of errors in this post), but lots of extremely basic mistakes that can be attributed only to carelessness are way more annoying (to me at least) than somebody using a little bit of internet shorthand.

15. instigata

instigata

Feb 24, 2006
    New Jersey
    all i know is, it seems nice to have so little to carry for a gig. reduce your gear and back stress.

i'd like to play through one. i don't play a lot of gigs yet (i'm only 17) but just from the few i have had, bringing that 2 10 and 1 15, plus a 25 pound head, and monitors (if the club wasn't providing) along with guitar amps, etc. was mighty un-fun. so that weight reduction would be very nice.

definitely gotta try it.

16. MikeBass

MikeBass Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2003
    Royal, Oak, MI.

Here's a tip.
    Fill out your profile like everyone else usually does and it won't smell like spam.
    'Cause right now, it smells like spam. And your making me hungry!!!;)

17. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    Yes, my spelling and grammer is horrendous. I make no apologies for this. Internet shorthand has almost always appeared snotty to me though. At least I can just claim to be ignorant.

Filled out my profile for those worrying that I am simply a troll spreading propaganda. Didn't mean to ruffle any ones feathers, just letting you know my experience with a top notch product.

to instagata, easy to transport and carry is something I forgot to mention. I never get a back ache from this thing, and from my house to my garage I can have the whole thing up and ready to go in fifteen minutes because I don't have to worry about re setting things like with a normal pa. With my old pa set up with just 4 speakers and a head, it was always backache time and always had to be re dialed in, even if it was the same room.

I'm the guy with the pa for the band, so I was always the guy that had to carry it and be the soundguy. The pas takes a load off me.

18. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    How do you set up the pole for your bass? What preset do you use, and how do you eq? My band has three of these things, but I am having a hard time getting a decent sound. We haven't yet upgraded though, so that might help. The guitars and vocals sound amazing in them though.

They also added an external 18" powered sub to the system, but I find it kind of boomy.

19. Sean Baumann

Sean Baumann Supporting Member

Apr 6, 2000
    Livin' in the USA
    I'll second that. When my band played last Sunday, we were out of there in like 15 minutes. It was amazing.

20. ric1312

ric1312 Banned

Apr 16, 2006
    chicago, IL.
    I don't use any presets, as I like the sound of my bass with no voicing curves on it. But, you can try any of the presets, even if it says guitar or horn it may do something nice to your bass sound.

For bass you definately need:

1. A good bass with nice output, because what you put in is what you get out. I tried my starter $300 dollar ibanez on it, and while it sounds alright, it just doesn't have the ooomph of the bongo or the tonal quality. And I have turn up the channel volume a couple of notches to get the same output as the bongo.

Best basses I've played are by musicman, stingrays and bongos. You can really get nice sounds out of a bongo with it's eq.

2. 2 bass modules. I tried it without them for kicks to see if the modules actually made that much difference and whoaaa baby, all by it'self without modules it didn't have enough kick for anything low end. And if you need more than two you can add more.

but, to me it kicks but. but, I'm also in a trio and don't have to struggle to hear myself against a second guitar and keyboards.