Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss AW-2 (WOW! this is a surprise)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jeff Moote, Dec 28, 2001.

1. Jeff Moote

Jeff Moote Supporting Member

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    I picked up a Boss AW-2 Auto Wah today. Well, it's pretty old (and it was used), I don't think they make it any more.

It's quite interesting:
    • overall >> VERY SUBTLE, you can only just tell its there, good for adding a bit of funk where it otherwise wouldn't fit.
    • doesn't suck low end much at all, great considdering it's not a bass effect
    • Controls: (Rate)(Depth)(Manual)(Sensitivity)
    • can wah up and down (manual control >> "hi" to "low")
    • the trigger works, but when it isn't being triggered, it oscillates (up and down over and over) leading me to the coolest part of all:
    • I put my fuzz in front of it, and set the sensitivity low so it never triggers and just oscillates. Then set filter to taste, and instant tremolo/synth sounds. Just use the rate control to speed up or slow down the oscillations.

Overall, very cool. Get one or at least try it if you can.

2. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    man, nobody noticed this *bump*

I'm positive Geddy and BigFeet will at least want to see this.

3. tried it once but totally hated it...
    i do love effects that can just make cool oscillations and noise though...
    i have a really cheesy ibanez delay pedal that feedbacks on itself and oscillates if the repeats go to high. then if i change the delay time it changes the pitch so i can do crazy spacey sounds with it... pretty useless in a musical sense but also cool in its own way
    ;) :p

4. I used to own one and liked the whole flip over thing, the way it oscillates when you play chords. It gets really great fluttering effects and sharp t-wah blurps, but lacks the girth of the higher end envelope filters. For the price I think it is very good for those of us who don't have or want to spend $300 on a single effect. I would rather spring the money though.

5. Jeff Moote

Oct 11, 2001
    Beamsville, ON, Canada
    Yeah, I don't think it is really a replacement for a good auto wah (it doesn't really sound like that much at all) but it is just cool.