Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss AW-3 dynamic wah

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ARES75, Mar 20, 2005.

1. ARES75

ARES75

Feb 4, 2005
    What do you think about Boss aw-3.Please write your comments about its sound.Is it suitable for bass frequencies.how does it sound.Compare it with ibanez sb7,Thanks:)

2. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I love mine. It can get just about any wah sound you might want, is built like a tank and even has a separate input for basses. It has an expression pedal in, so you can use it like a traditional wah too. The only thing it doesn't do is crazy, synth sounds. When I want over the top synth, I use it along with my EH Bassballs or my Boss PH-3. Bottom line.......solid, usable tones, easy to manipulate, great with bass and relatively affordable.

3. HamOnTheCob

HamOnTheCob Jacob Moore Supporting Member

Nov 21, 2004
    Cambridge, Ohio, USA
    Endorsing Artist for Warwick Basses, Mesa Engineering, Joyo Technology, Dr. J Pedals, and Levy's Leathers
    I've never used the Ibanez, but I had one of the Boss AW-3s. I thought it was sweet, and it worked wonderfully for bass. Effects aren't my thing, so I sold it. But if I had needed a pedal like that, I would've kept it for sure. Very good pedal and nice and quiet too.

I got mine as a bonus from the guy who sold me one of my basses, that's the only reason I had one. But I played with it and had fun. I sold it for around $50 or $60 (can't remember exactly). It's definitely worth a shot if you find one for a good price.

Jake

4. Excelite

Excelite

Mar 18, 2005
    Near DFW, Texas
    I was looking at the AW-3 as well, although I just bought a Small Stone phase shifter and am very happy with it. The next thing I want is a wah sound to go with the shifter...the AW-3 sounds pretty good from the demos...although I did not try it out at the store. Have you looked at the Digitech Bass Synth Wah? I did try that one out at the store with bass and it sounds awesome...very customizable and about 5 or 6 different modes.

5. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    I don't think it is fair to compare the AW-3 to either the Ibanez or the Digitech. The AW-3 is a wah and the other two are synths. I would be willing to bet that the AW-3 would obliterate either the SB-7 or the BSW in the wah department though, as I understand that they both have an auto wah mode. Then again, it really isn't fair to compare a dedicated pedal to just one mode found on another. Try them and find out what works best for you. IMO the Boss is the way to go for great wah tone but it won't give you the synth options of the other two.