Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss AW-3 "Humanizer" question

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by homofunk68, Jul 28, 2005.

1. homofunk68

homofunk68

May 16, 2005
    Milan-Italy
    Hi all,
    I'm wonderin' what's the "Humanizer" effect and how it sounds with the bass. I read some posts about the AW-3 with pros and cons, but none using and experimenting with the "Humanizer". I would not use the AW-3 as a real autowah, but I'd be interested to obtain some kind of "vocoder" throughout that function, may be with a little octaver or distortion pedal, just for some soloing. Anybody did experimet that function a little deeper?

Thanks a lot.

2. The Nanny

The Nanny

Dec 23, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I am one of the few who like the feature...however, it has MANY limitations. First, you get distortion, whether you like it or not. I happen to like the distortion sound, and use that pedal as much for the distortion as for the wah.

Basically, the humanizer lets you set 2 vowel sounds, and at a rate dictated by another nob, your sound will move from one vowel to another. Imagine....ooooo-wwaaaaa. or aaaaaaa-wuuuuuu. or eeeeeee-aaaahhh.

However, the humanizer is a massive bottom sucker, so if you want any ballz remaining to your sound, use a looper or LS-2 pedal to mix in a clean signal.

3. homofunk68

homofunk68

May 16, 2005
    Milan-Italy
    Thanks,
    one more question: do you think it's suitable for medium fast soloing? I mean, I'd like to get a sound very similar to the last Joe Zawinul one (Joe Zawinul Syndacate), a kind of vocoder mixed with a moog-like sound. I would use it just for soloing, but I'm afraid that playin' fast everything melts and sounds like "mmbwaa mmbwuoo mmbwee"... :). Bottom sucker, what do You mean, that when is off it cuts the signal, or just when it's on? Thank You for Your patience.
    Luca

4. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I was laughing at the music store the other day; I set it so it sounded just like it was saying "Die! Die!".

Remember that it's NOT like an envelope follower, where your playing style and dynamics constantly interact with and control the effect - the length of this tone or vowel change is pre-set; it 'triggers' when it thins it hears a signal, and then 'resets' for the next one. Compared to a true 'follower', I think the effect is very contrived and cheesy (but that contrived-and-cheesy "Die! Die!" was pretty hilarious; I'd almost buy one just for that, if I were a little better-set in the discretionary funds department).

Joe

5. keb

keb

Mar 30, 2004
    I have this pedal, and to me that humanizer function is pretty gimmicky... it's something I would have on one or two songs tops (and two songs would be pushing it; I could see everyone just thinking "oh god not that "DIEEE DIEEE" effect again!") ;)

6. That pedal is poo, and I'm a huge boss fan. Makes your bass sound like a frog on crack.

7. bass-shy

bass-shy

Jan 11, 2005
    Florida
    When I owned mine, I used it primarily as a pedal wah. Most of the other settings and modes were fairly useless. Don't get me wrong, there are a LOT of different, funky sounds you can coax out of that little box, but anything more than amusing yourself with it from time to time is pretty much out of the question. The humanizer mode sounds kinda cool but it's not very useful, IMO. Lots of low end loss, too.