Boss Bass Chorus problem

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ImNotGeddyLee, Mar 17, 2001.

1. Has anyone else used this unit before? I recently purchased one and when i set it up and turned it on i got a loud hum comming out of my amp. I also had it running with anoter falnger and overdrive so i seperated them and ran it on its own and still i get the hum. Has anyone else had this problem?
  2. brewer9

Jul 5, 2000
    I have a BOSS Bass Chorus stomp box. It works fine. Either you hooked it up wrong, or its broken.
  3. i cant believe i would be hooking it up wrong, just like all other boss stomp boxes; input and output (mono, i cant run stereo) and no matter what i set any levels to on my amp, guitar, or effects it still gets the hum... must be broken. Good thing i got it at Guitar Center and I have 30 days (normally more) to return it...
  4. I have the Boss Chorus and really like it. I'll bet if you play around with the "low filter" you'll take care of the hum
  5. ive put the low filter to every possible setting... i have tried i believe everything and still the hum is there... i will try it one more time today before returning it.
  6. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You run it on battery or on power supply?
    The latter might be the bad guy here...
  7. I am using a power supply... its the same one i use with all of my effects including my two other boss pedals (bass overdrive and flanger) and it works fine
  8. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Still, try running it on battery or another power supply to eliminate that possibility.
  9. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    My brother was running his Boss guitar effects off of some Radio Shack converters ... talk about HUM! I bought him a couple of Boss converters for his birthday. No more hum. You need a high quality converter that rectifies the lumps off of the DC voltage. Some half-wave rectifiers don't have a filter circuit to smooth out the voltage, so you end up with a wave form that looks sorta like those little scallops that go around the legs on some women's underwear.
  10. Interesting... Im having a large powerm supply being built for me and I am wondering if they are doing that. It isn't that expensive so i dont know exactly the quality just that its 9 volts and about 1500 mA... hopefully I wont have that problem...i still dont understand why that power supply would work on other boss pedals and not that one.
  11. yeah, the power supply needs to be regulated (neat tie in with my name) for Boss pedals to work without hum. a Zoom power supply has no regulator in it (Zoom pedals have an internal voltage regulator) so will cause hum if you plug one into a Boss pedal.

I've used various cheap power supplies and added a voltage regulator chip and they've worked fine.