Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

boss bass equalizer & limiter/enhancer

Discussion in '[OLD FORUM] Bass Guitars, Amps, and Accessories: F' started by mrWr0ng, May 6, 2003.

1. bump. no interest?

2. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    i might be interested in the lmb-3. can you give me a sample of it? i do a lot of tapping and id like the high end to come out more, however the low over powers, will it help that?

3. yeah that's what i used it almost exclusively for. i had the ratio and threshold set to limit everything that was too powerful, then used the enhance knob to turn up everything that was too light. i played a lot on the D and G strings, and I wasn't getting enough volume on them, compared to the B and E strings.

with the pedal, it helped level everything out so my high end was the same as my low end. i later replaced the pickups and bought a rackmount compressor, so the pedal isn't needed anymore, but it really helped me clear up my tone when I needed it.

4. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    what kind of bass do you have? and what pickups did you use in the replacement?

so the ratio and threshold limit things and the enhance, obviously enhances?

5. i have an ibanez SR405, 5 string. it originally had the stock pickups, and I was playing through a peavey firebass head. Overall it was an OK setup, but I wasn't getting enough tone out of the D and G strings, so I got the Limiter/Enhancer and turned it up to limit the lower end, then enhanced the higher end to make them more equal.

the instruction book says:
    "the compression ratio for the input signal is called Ratio. For instanc,e, when the raio is set to "2:1", an input signal that is 6db than the threshold level will be compressed to one half, oe 3dB. When it is set to "infinity:1", any signal above the treshhold level will be compressed to the threshold level, then output."

"the treshold level is the level at which compression starts to work. When the input signal has reached the treshold level, the signal will be compressed at the compression ratio set with ratio, then output. when the input signal is lower than the treshold level, it will be output without compression."

so if you're playing slap bass and your low B or E is approximately twice as loud as the D and G strings, you can turn the treshold up to the output level you want, then turn up the ratio so that whatever is LOUDER than that (ie the low strings) will get compressed to whichever ratio you want (cut the volume in half or third or fourth, etc, or make it the same as the treshold level). at the same time, you can turn up the enhance knob to raise the volume of the quieter strings to get the whole thing equal.

6. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    ok i think i get it.

let me try one at the local store and ill get back to you.