Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

boss bass od or dod 250 ?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by violatedppl, Aug 22, 2005.

1. dod 250

15 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. boss obd 3

6 vote(s)
    24.0%
  3. just crank the tube pre

4 vote(s)
    16.0%
  1. I have a dod bass overdrive with I use more for heavey dist. I want something to get a little more of an overdriven tone than the pedal I have now its a fx91 if that matters. the head I will be using it with has a tube pre wich I like but. I like using it for a clean tone. and was wondering which would give me a better overdrive sound. think 70's svt.

2. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    I vote for the DOD 250..I have both and use the ODB-3 for heavy duty overdrive and the 250 to add some subtle overdrive..The nice thing about the 250 is that it won't get crazy..about half way up and its nice and creamy...Only downside is that it has no LED indicator..

I'm going to send mind off and have it true-bypass, LED and capped for better low end at indieguitars.com...should be my main OD pedal after its said and done...It will still only cost me about $75 total after mods!

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    250 has always done fine by me.

4. johnp352

johnp352 Supporting Member

Aug 19, 2005
    Chicago
    Endorsing Artist: Rick Turner, GK, Malekko, Dredgetone, Pigtronix, Seymour Duncan

I did a search and got a site selling crap guitars..no mods..the cheapest thing I found for the 250 mod you described was at analogman.com..but it's at least twice as much.

BTW..which 250 do you have..did you try several..the Yngwie one..the older ones..etc. And what exactly do you mean "capped for better low end response"? sounds dangerous..are you having the pedal shot?

I am looking at this to have a clean boost with a small bit of push.
    thanks

5. SoyBase

SoyBase

Jul 1, 2001
    Atlanta, Ga
    http://indyguitarist.com/mods.htm

His is $50, plus the cost of the pedal (i got mine for a deal). Mine is the standard yellow reissue model that sells new for around $40.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/g=home/search/detail/base_id/42046

As for having it capped, I mean having a capacitor or 2 changed our to help with the low end response. The pedal doesn't lose much now, but if it can be tweaked to be better suited for bass, it will honesly be my only OD pedal.

I think that the 250 would do what you want. I mean, for $40 its worth a shot!

6. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Hmm..

They offer a mod on the ODB-3 also!

Joe

7. I have an odb-3 and I can't get a good overdriven sound out of it...it's only good for heavy distortion and it ain't that great in that departement either IMHO

8. how much of the blend knob are you using?

9. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    i like the 250 for a kind of hard edged overdrive but im gonna sell it because i think the sansamp should be able to cover that base. at least i hope it will cos there wont be any room left on my pedalboard!

10. I just bought a russian big muff so, now I need to sell my other dist and get a good ovedrive. I never knew how much my dod sucked low end out of my tone until I tied the muff. although its more of a fuzz it still sounds great for dist, and keeps the low end pretty tight.

11. sknkh

sknkh

Mar 21, 2004
    Hey xan where did you get your 250 from? I can't seem to find anywhere that has them in Australia, and how much did you get it for, if you don't mind me asking?

12. I tried alot of different settings from hardly any to cranked all the way but it's just not a good sounding distortion (to me anyways)

In my last post I was refering to the sound not the amount of distortion cause this pedal can get way up there with no problem...I probably should have clarified that in my last post sorry :meh: