Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss bass overdrive help

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lyle, Jul 30, 2005.

1. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    Im having trouble getting favourable tones out of this pedal. I have had it for a while and recently wanted to start using it again with a bass a drums duo. If anyone else uses this pedal could you suggest some settings. Im looking for distortion yet with distinction between notes.

2. volume (whereever), treble (cranked), bass (3/4), blend (1/4-1/2), gain (halfway). also, mids and trebles on your amp, use the knobs,turn them up. you'll make the notes heard REALLY quick

3. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    With the gain push past 12:00 I find compression kicks in and muddles the sound. I like the gain at 11:00 to 12:00, balance at 12:00 to get at good mix, bass at 12:00 to 1:00 and treble at around 10:00.

All this will depend on your setup, I'm using a passive P bass.

I also love the 'Radiohead' type tone which has a nice high gain. For this I just turn the gain up to about 2:00 and here the compression becomes your friend as it smoothes things out.

4. gain at 0 blend at 0 :smug:

i'm kidding but i do have this pedal and really i found it doesn't do full on very well without loosing low end and getting the muddieness you're talking about. you can mess with it to keep the notes but you get no useful tone. i endded up using it as a cleanish boost, kept the blend at around 1/4 and you get some naturalish drive out of it. i don't use it nemore, opted for a sansamp, it suits my needs much better.

5. Yeah, i used the boss a few times too, and it just seems to make everything sound really tinny, doesnt have the balls of the BDDI :D

6. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    thats why they are so good together

7. why don't you put every knob at 12:00 and adjust it from there?

8. Never tried them together, but i love the BDDI sound on its own, just needed to learn not to do what the book says (about the blend knob)

9. shaolinwhat

shaolinwhat

Jun 5, 2005
    Ohio
    where do you keep your blend knob? i used to run it all the way up, but lately ive been rocking it at about 2-3 o clock, i found this lets a lot of the mids of my amp come through and really cut through the mix, its awesome.

10. 1/4 blend keeps the notes completely in tact cuz your hearing your tone with a coating of distortion.

11. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    When you push the gain past 12:00 you get compression added due to the high distortion, but keeping the blend at around 9:00 keeps the compression under control

With the balance at 12:00 you get more of the OD signal coming through, so you need less gain. This will then mean less compression.

12. atoni

atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
    level: as needed
    bass: 1 o'clock
    treble: 11 o'clock
    blend: 9 o'clock
    gain: 8-9 o'clock

13. lyle

lyle Guest