Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

BOSS Bass Overdrive pedal (ODB-3)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by jrthebassguy, Jul 1, 2000.

1. i went to guitar center yesterday. it being a sale and all, i just had to jump down there. while there, i saw the boss bass overdrive pedal which was a possible purchase for me. after hearing people say its pretty good, i thought id try one out. i talked to a guy that worked there, and we hooked it up to some yamaha bass which i didnt really care for. but anyways, when i plugged it in what i got out was some of the best tones i have ever heard. my look was like this: [​IMG] i abosolutly loved the sounds i was getting out of there! there was a DOD bass overdrive there that would cost less but i heard that the boss one is better. i never tried the dod one so i wouldnt know for sure. but after hearing the stuff i was getting out of the amp, i decided that i have to buy this pedal....so i did. i love this pedal and highly recomend it to anyone who sees this pedal as a possible purchase.

------------------
    "Destruction can be beutiful" --Mankind

2. trompin64

trompin64

May 30, 2000
    You liked it? I didn't like this disto pedal. Well... just my interpretation. Besides these guys at the store told me that disto for the bass is one of the worst effects ever. But I like disto, just can't find one that I like a lot.

3. <BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by trompin64:
    You liked it? I didn't like this disto pedal. Well... just my interpretation. Besides these guys at the store told me that disto for the bass is one of the worst effects ever. But I like disto, just can't find one that I like a lot.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

well it depends what kinda bass player you are. i wouldnt recomend this to a person who just keeps the beat up. if your a person who does stuff like solos and things that stand out, i would recomend it.

------------------
    "Alchohol, the cause and solution to all of life's problems" --Homer Simpson

4. trompin64

trompin64

May 30, 2000
    well I like doing both but I'm only 13 so i don't have much experience with pedals and don't want to throw away my money. i have heard a lot of suggestions for this but i couldn't tweak it very well, you see, whenever i got a good distortion, there was a buzz when I wasn't playing so you have any suggestions with that?

5. dont worry about it man, im 13 too. and as for tweakin it, in the owners manual in the back it shows settings to get your bass to have a certain sound.

------------------
    "To be good and powerful, be corrupt and really good at math" --Big Wheel

6. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by jrthebassguy:
    well it depends what kinda bass player you are. i wouldnt recomend this to a person who just keeps the beat up. if your a person who does stuff like solos and things that stand out, i would recomend it.
    <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I do solos quite a lot, but would never use distortion on bass - it sounds horrible to me.

It tends to affect the higher ranges of the audio spectrum more anyway and not the bass, so at best you can get a "heavy metal" guitar-like sound.

The only musical way to use distortion, in my experience is to have two outputs - one with a distorted signal and one that has the clean bass - otherwise you tend to lose the real bottom end and you might as well be playing guitar.

You may "stand out" with distortion, but that may be because you're making such an awful sound, rather than for any good reason.I think that a bit of overdrive can make a solo stand out, but too much distortion just takes you into the realms of "noise".

7. Bruce, The ODB-3 has a balance knob that lets you mix in the clean signal. I bought an ODB-3 last week (actually traded in my zoom 506), and after tweeking the hell out of it, I ended up having the balance knob set very close to "dry" (9 o'clock) and the gain at about 2 o'clock.

This is the only distortion pedal that I've found worth having, because of that. It doesn't cut the low end, like all the others do.

But nevertheless, I like a really fuzzy, edgy heavy metal type distortion, unlike you. I like being in the realm of noise. And because this pedal doesn't cut my low end, the sound isn't completely un-bass.

8. trompin64

trompin64

May 30, 2000
    Any other opinions?

9. what store do you go to? none of the salespeople at any music stores i've been to would ever say anything bad about a product they have in stock. :)

hey joris, do you find that the ODB-3 can give you a good slightly-overdriven sound, as well as the hard stuff?

10. FOE_Bass

FOE_Bass Guest

Jun 29, 2000
    Grass Valley, CA
    What I love most about this unit is that on certain settings you can control the amount of distortion by how play. The harder you hit the strings the more distortion. Opposite effect is reached by barely touching the strings. Plus the damn things built like a tank.

11. nunk6

nunk6

Jul 29, 2000
    i've got the pedal and its great

turn the balance and gain all the way up turn the bass all the way up and leave the treble in the middle
    level it out and now play the strings hard in front of your pickups (towards the bottom of fretboard) on high notes (12th fret and up) to give it a good "horn" type sound, maybe a clarinet?

12. Can you get nice tube-like overdrive sounds (Who's Boris the Spider and early Who; Led Zep's "Heartbreaker") or is it a hardcore fuzz like Smashing Pumpkins?

13. I bought this pedal at Sam Ash for $95.00. It is extremely versatile--early breakup @ "My Generation" to hardcore maxed out fuzz and distortion but...

1)I don't think the bypass is hardwired as there is slight but noticeable loss of highs and clarity when you run into the pedal.

2)It emulates a tube o/d but definitely sounds solid state and lacks the warmth of a tube overdrive unit.

Does anybody know of a tube overdrive unit with a clean hardwire bypass that is designed for bass? Anybody try the Real Tube Blue Overdrive?

14. I've bought mine a week ago. Well, what can I say... I dreamt about a bass distortion unit for years and when I plugged in it I realised it's not what I expected. It's fuzzy and metallic, very much industrial. But still, I don't mind sounding extreme, so I bought it. Yes, I also wanted more growl and less chainsaw. It doesn't cut low end at least, it gives booming lows. But the sound loses definition very very much, that's my major complaint. Another disadvantage is that I play with a pick and the percussive picking noise produces more distortion than the main tone in the lowest octave. This must be surely solved with a compressor or a limiter run before it. Also an EQ must be very useful.
    At least it can boost the lows and overall level :)
    I suspect there are no solid state stompboxes that may offer something really different. Such are semiconductors.
    Jim, learn about SWR Interstellar Overdrive (www.swreng.com). This is my dream. It's a tube rackmount preamp designed for true bass overdrive, with blend and 3 band EQ. Unfortunately, it costs $550 so I can't afford it :( Damn.

15. Oh, and I forgot, I got two questions:
    1) How the heck to make a use of the Natural Overdrive settings stated in the manual (i.e. blend to 100% overdrive, gain to MIN)? I don't find any difference to the clean sound.
    2) Does the level knob anyhow affect the character of sound. I know it only controls the level of the output signal, but it really sounds different if I turn level to maximum and turn down level on the amp, so that it's the same volume, but more distortion on low frequencies. Is it just that I overdrive the input of the amp, or the level knob does affect the output of the pedal?

16. ONYX

ONYX

Apr 14, 2000
    Michigan
    Hey Indie, I think I'll jump in on this one!

In answer to your first question: The settings in the owners manual are rubbish. Ignore them like the plague.
    I don't know who comes up with these settings, but I hope they don't play bass!!! Anyway for the natural overdrive sound , you'll have to tweak the drive up just slightly.
    Very slightly. Or try this one: balance between 7 and 9 o'clock and gain at or around 7 o'clock.

Question 2: The level controls the output of the pedal and really doesn't do much more. It should be set so that the distorted volume is at the same volume as the bypassed signal. This is usually ( but not always at 12 o'clock).

Hope this helps!!

17. i just tried this pedal at GC and i totally hated it. maybe i'm just not a distortion kinda guy... it sounds way too artificial to me. i would want something that sounds more like a bass, more growly but still with an edge.

18. Junkie

Junkie

Jul 31, 2000
    i've bought this pedal last year. iwas impressed for couple of months, but after several gigs I've lost interest.
    The sound loses balls.

19. It's important with the ODB-3 to cut all the highs as far as possible on your bass, especially when you play with a pick. Only then you get that fuzz sound, the roaring sound or the slightly broken-up sound. Otherwise it just starts squeeking a lot. My bass has an active EQ, so I can really turn down the highs. Boosting the low-mid with a varimid EQ also helps a lot.

I ran my old (passive EQ) bass through the ODB-3, and I couldn't get the sound I wanted. Not even close to my active EQ bass. So an active bass really helps in getting a better sound from this unit.

20. trompin64

trompin64

May 30, 2000
    I have an active bass... any suggestions on getting a good sound?