Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

boss bass pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by only4him012, Sep 10, 2003.

1. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    i just bought a boss bass pedal, is this neccesarry instead of electric guitar one?
    im thinking of learning electric guitar sometime also. should i buy separate one for electric guitar?

2. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    often, pedals for electric guitar don't cover the frequency range necessary for a bass guitar signal.

While I haven't tried this, I'm sure it'll be the same as with bass amps vs guitar amps. In that an electric guitar through a bass pedal will sound better than bass guitar through an electric guitar pedal.

3. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    No. Though I have found that guitar specific pedals work better with bass than bass specific pedals for guitar due to the frequency range in which they operate.

Only half of my pedalboard is bass specific, while my other pedals consist of the very popular Electro-Harmonix Big Muff Pi, and occasionally an Ibanez SM-7 Smashbox. These are not made for bass, but work rather well, with a slight loss in bottom end.

As a hint, while learning, avoid effects. Often gives you a sense of sounding really good when you really don't. No offense, but under extreme amounts of distortion, power chords sound great.

BTW, which Boss Bass Pedal did you get? The ODB-3 Bass Overdrive?

4. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    Interesting, we have the exact opposite opinion :)

5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Which goes to show you gotta try them for yourself! :p

6. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    the pedal was blue that i'm sure of. if you need more info about the pedal i will post it when i get home.

7. only4him012

only4him012

Nov 11, 2002
    NJ
    this surelly shows my....forgetfulness...
    i bought a chorus pedal.
    i heard that all it does is just altering a signal a little and give delay so i don't really need bass chorus pedal. is this true?

yeah, that was the question that i wanted to ask....

bass chorus pedal that's what i got:D

8. cjgallen

cjgallen

Oct 19, 2001
    It really depends on the pedal, and what kind of sound you want out of it.

My Digitech Bass Driver sounds AWESOME with guitar, both the overdrive and distortion sound fantastic.

I use all of my bass gear for electric guitar. I don't see the point of duplicating gear.

9. chorus is a really nice effect on bass, nice and subtle.

10. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sorry, can't vouch for this pedal exactly, but I don't see why it wouldn't sound alright on guitar. Some sound alright, some don't, just got to give them all a listen.