Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss Bass Pedals?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by thetenthlisten, Oct 20, 2005.

1. thetenthlisten

thetenthlisten

Oct 20, 2005
    I'm thinking of picking up a few Boss pedals for my bass, but I want to ask some knowledgeable before I go spend some money.

Firstly, I was thinking about the PH-3 Phase Shifter. Is this any good with a bass? I really like the phaser effect, but would it sound good on bass? Is it worth spending $110 on? Has anyone had any experience with it? It's looks like a pretty nice pedal and the whole rise/fall thing sounds neat.

Link: http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/PH-3/

Secondly: I'm playing through a 75watt Fender Guitar amp right now with my bass. I have a 15watt bass amp, but I got my 75watt one for free from my cousins so I want to make some use of it, but the problem is that it seems a little trebley so I was thinking of picking up a GEB-7 Bass Equalizer Pedal. Apparently you can cut the high frequency bands to make the bass sound like its playing through a bass amp. Would this be usefully considering I'm not playing through one? It's only $70, so would that be useful?

Link: http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/GEB-7/index.html

Thirdly: I'm thinking of picking up a delay pedal for like reverse delayed playing. Either the DD-6 Digital Delay Pedal or the DD-3. Is there that much difference between the two besides the price? Would delay sound cool with bass or no? I would like to experiment with stuff like that, but is the $160 or $130 price tag worth it?

Links: http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/DD-6/index.html
    http://www.bosscorp.co.jp/products/en/DD-3/index.html

What do you guys think?

2. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    from what i hear it's a solid pedal, i'm a fan of the electro harmonix small stone.It's cheaper too
    why boss specifically, besides their solid construction?
    That's a pretty loud amp, but i'd be worried about blowing the cone (which is why there are bass amps). regardless, if you want to put effects through an amp, i would go with that one over the 15 watter. I blew one of those up once. However, i wouldn't put an equalizer through it without posting something in amps, they know alot more than I do. Frankly, play with the settings on your bass.
    I think it'd be cool to play around with. my guitarist has the dd-3, awesome toy. However, the dd-6 has the reverse function.

3. Unchain

Unchain I've seen footage.

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    That phaser is a good one I've used it, worked fine. The EHX one is great too, whatever you decide. The EQ should be fine, but my question is if you are buying pedals, why not save a little and get a real bass amp? You're looking at over 300 in pedals when you can get a decent combo for that. Delay is great on bass, and I use the DD-3 myself, couldn't tell you if the DD-6 is better.

4. thetenthlisten

thetenthlisten

Oct 20, 2005
    Thanks! I've actually been looking around ebay for cheaper prices for these pedals and I've found some.

Some people are selling the phaser for around 40 bucks, the dd-6 for less than 100, and the equalizer for as low as 15 dollars! Should I look into buying these on ebay, or is ebay not to be trusted? I would love to buy these for a lot cheaper than there actual price, but i'd rather not get something that's broke or will break soon. As for my 75 watt fender guitar amp, I'm not really pumping the volume on that too much in fear of blowing it out. I have it a little above 1 on the volume dial right now, and its as loud as my 15 watt fender rumble at max volume, so I don't really think I'll blow it out unless these pedals add a lot of volume.

I've been posting my list around some other forums and people have been saying that the delay may sound cluttered if your playing with a band, but I'd like to try it out. If I don't like it I could sell it through ebay again.

5. thetenthlisten

thetenthlisten

Oct 20, 2005
    I'd rather not have to get a new amp unless completely necessary, and I'm fine with my amp now, especially since it was free. The wattage is nice, and I'm not really playing any gigs yet with my band, so a new amp wouldn't be completely necessary for me yet.

Plus if the pedals on ebay are actually reliable, then I can get them for less than 200 for all 3.

6. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Ok, then. Just a reccomendation. Yeah, if you have the money go for it. BOSS pedals are like a rock, everyone I've bought has been used and has never broken down.

7. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    The DD6 offers longer delay times and is in stereo (this is good for someone with two amps like yourself). I would buy it for these features.
    Both my phasers sound like a flanger with my basses. They also whoosh nicely when a distortion pedal is actuated.

As for the EQ, go for it. It maybe of limited use now but you might need it for when you get your big rig.

Have fun.

8. thetenthlisten

thetenthlisten

Oct 20, 2005
    Sweet. I'll try to sweet talk my dad tomorrow to lend me some cash. I'll try buying them on ebay, too.

I'll if I can get the Phaser for like 50, the DD-6 for less than 100, and the equalizer for maybe like 40. I'll see how things work out.

9. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    boss pedals imo are terrible for bass. Save up and get some real bass pedals. I work at a music store that has a whole boss display so ive tried them all multiple times. For the money they are horrible. Look EHX and zvex.

10. opivy3056

opivy3056 Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2004
    Annapolis, MD
    I have the PH-3, BF-3, CE-5 and DD-6, they all work really well with bass.

Boss effects dont blow you away (like boutique boxes), but their a relatively inexpensive way to get some quality effects on your board.

DD-6 is incredibly easy to use (i dont use the tap tempo though)

PH-3 is a cool sounding effect, doesnt take anything from the low end.

11. Unchain

Jun 20, 2005
    Tucson, AZ
    Sure EHX and Zvex are fine for some, but BOSS are fine for others. All those pedals are quality, and far cheaper than EHX and far, far cheaper than Zvex.

12. fenderx55

fenderx55

Jan 15, 2005
    NYC/Queens
    yeah dude, zvex is, minimum, a $300 investment. That's his cap. I have 3 boss pedals, and they are the ones i've had the longest and they've fallen from quite a distance.

13. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

The GEB-7 is a nice EQ with well chosen frequencies.

The DD-3/6 are great at what they do and work fine on bass. I prefer a Guyatone MD-3 for pure delay but Boss offers more functions.

I'd put reserves on the PH-3 since it tends to eat lows like crazy, not as much as a PH-2 but not far. Hardly usable IMHO. I'd go with a Guyatone PS-3 or an EHX Small Stone instead.

14. I like the Digitech DigiDelay reverse better....plus the tape sim on it sounds killer.

15. syciprider

syciprider Banned

May 27, 2005
    Inland Empire
    EHX? The new ones that ship DOA?

16. thetenthlisten

thetenthlisten

Oct 20, 2005
    I'd really like to test some of these pedals out before buying them, but my local Sam Ash doesn't have too many pedals. I'd like to see how they sound myself just incase I think they sound cool instead of relying on what other people said, but I respect your opinions.

Thanks for your help guys. :)