Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Boss Bass Synth (sucks?)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by chaosMK, Jun 17, 2005.

1. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    Hi-fi into an old tube amp
    A long time ago I purchased the Boss Bass Synth on sale. I figured it was something that wasnt too common and that I'd get some unique sounds out of it. I liked the auto whah's on it originally and even that wave form that sounds like harsh distortion. After a while, I dropped it from my rig and havent used it for a few years. I am wondering if anyone has managed to do any good with this pedal, and how!

2. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

It has a few wonderful tones but tracks so poorly that I would never allow it on my pedalboard.

3. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    yeah i assume ur speaking of the syb-3? i had that and didnt find much use for it and as jazz said tracking basically rendered it useless to me. theres a new one out - syb-5 - that tracks better and has an expression pedal input. its not too bad, but you will find that tb is fairly pro akai deep impact, and that just about everyone here has one or wants one for their synth needs.

4. I have the SYB-5 and use it for mainly for crazy noises. It takes a while to dial in some good sounds, as it has tones of options to create a sound. It really is all in the learning curve. I use a pick which seems to track better than fingerpicking and the SYB5 does track better than the SYB-3 (which sounds like the model you have.) However it still does not play in real time.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yeah, I tried the syb-5 and while the tracking was better than on the 3 I still didn't find it to usable for playing in a song

6. Odd, I was much more pleased with the Digitech Bass Synth Wah that goes for $79. Go figure.

7. That is probably because it is easier to dial in sounds and also plays in real time.

I actually own both of these pedals.

8. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    I pulled out my old SYB-3 and started messing with it again. I ended up setting on a few "windy"/underwater kind of sounds that work well if you are playing chords/arpegios (that end up ringing out long enough for the decay to settle right). I still havent found a way to use it for a straight tone.

9. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    oddly enough syb-3s are still selling for reasonable prices on ebay.

10. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    I joined a different band that is more musical than the previous and we do plenty of improvisation between songs and cool sounds.

I tried out the un-trusty SYB- again and finally learned how to use it.

It is a way versatile pedal and is about as complicated to use as Mesa's heads are.

I have it setup with one of the wave form sounds (maybe setting #7... one of the ones right before the auto wah stuff). It is all about using the "sensitivity" function. If I use a sharp attack, it dips way down into the sub realm and slowly rises out into a sizzle, with a lighter attack it produces sizzle/distortion that is a great compliment to real disortion. The coolest way that I have learned how to use it is by using the volume knob on my bass (fading in from 0 volume with a strong attack) which allows me to use the "dip" effect or to just sustain the sizzle, by slowly turning my volume knob. It is a cool and quite unique pedal afterall. :cool:

11. seaKamp

seaKamp

Jun 30, 2005
    Chicago
    IMO... This pedal would be GREAT if the effect could be held longer. With my SYB-3 the effect cuts out MUCH earlier that I would like to. The pedal can make some really great sounds and is highly tweakable. My only beef with the pedal was the fact that the effect would cut out early. I switched to an Akai Deep Impact and I'll never look back. Good sounds but I would never be able to use it in a live setting for fear of the effect dropping out on me for no apparent reason.

12. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    Ditto. The unpredictable and short drop-off in the synth tone makes it difficult to use, especially in a live situation.

13. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    Yup. Many of you may know that I'm rather a BOSS freak, but the BSW does track better than the SYB-5. It sounds pretty good too; pretty 'manufactured'-sounding tones, but the octave-down sound is a pretty good one - I think I've read others saying that just that setting alone is worth the price.

I'm tempted to get one...

Oh - but in answer to the original thread question: Yeah, it kinda DOES.

Joe

14. didn't someone say that the BSW worked more like a filter than a synth?
    which is why the BSW has good tracking?

i could be wrong...i probably am...

15. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    You might be thinking of the Ibanez SB7 'Synth'. The issue with that pedal is while it sounds good and it sounds like a synth, its not actually synthesising anything, it is, in effect, just a synth-sounding filter.

16. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    yup, as xan said that's the sb7

17. ok, i knew it was one of those synth pedals you guys were talking about...

18. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    I bought an SYB-5 two months ago, and so far I'm thinking it was a waste of money. I can't find any useable sounds out of it for a duration of a song. Yeah, it seems to have some crazy, cheezy-old atari video game type sounds that would seem okay to make between some songs, but nothing to use throughout a song.

19. chaosMK

chaosMK

May 26, 2005
    Albuquerque, NM
    If it were a Noise song, you could use it for the duration. Either that, or use some of the more normal tones on it like Auto Wah with a heavy mix of your normal tone and a lighter touch of the effect.

20. yea i had this one for a couple weeks to try to get a feel for it but like other people have said it tracks terribly, and although some of the sounds it can make are great, its not as useful without an expression pedal